Wednesday, 9 December 2015

Wiki Brixham

It's not as if much meticulous research has gone into today's post as I found these 1895 pictures of my home town on Wikipedia.  They're produced by a process called Photochrom which sounded like a right royal pain in the arse to carry out.  Maybe a few of you might agree though that the resultant palette is rather gorgeous and perhaps worth all that painstaking work.  This is a view east of Brixham harbour.  In modern day photos you can just about see the chimney of our 1930s house peeping over the rooftops at the top of the hill.
As well as finding these beautiful images with these muted hues I've also discovered that a huge cone shaped flying saucer complete with entrance door hovered over the town for 80 minutes in 1967. Now there's something that you don't see everyday.  That might frighten those blooming gulls away for a little while. What the fount of all knowledge failed to mention is the tale of the Brixham Angel. During the Great Gale of 1866 the women of the town selflessly burnt their possessions in a big bonfire to guide their menfolk back to port.  Since then on dark nights you can hear the flap of angel wings over the port.....alllegedly!

10 comments:

  1. At first I thought it was Brixham under a heavy frost. Wouldn't it be nice if those old boats were still around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's still a few old Brixham trawlers left. You can spot them sometimes in the harbour

      Delete
  2. They're rather lovely. It's great reading your blog because it gives me frequent trips down memory lane! I went to Furzeham Primary, which I think is the big grey building at the top of the hill in the first picture. Somehow, the harbour has changed a lot, but not at all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that about the harbour. It is eminently recognisable. Apparently Harold Wilson went to Furzeham Primary School as well. x

      Delete
    2. I vaguely remember that. The comedian, Andy Parsons, went to Churston Grammar at the same time as me, but he wasn't in the same year and I don't remember him. He was the son of the then Headmaster.

      Delete
    3. I was at university at the same time as JK Rowling. It would be great to see a photo of her from those days to see if I recognize her. x

      Delete
  3. Those are beautiful images, well worth the effort I think. Thanks for putting them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. true....I have the Brixham angel earrings. Sold at the harbour stall. Had a lovely lunch at the little shack on the harbour this Summer too.Its a lovely place. Thanks for the old pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shack on the harbour is one of my favourite places for lunching in the summer. Simply Fish is my year round haunt. I'm glad you have your angel earrings. Can you hear their wings flap as they approach the sea?!! x

      Delete