Monday, 4 January 2016

A Bit of Skirt

Addendum to the last post: I feel compelled to say something about what happened yesterday  It appears that my online dating experience could be taking  a Stella Grey turn.  A guy contacted me.  He's rather cute and there'd been a brief smattering of inane banter before.  This time it was different. Out of the blue he asked if I was a dominatrix because I had 'the look'. Ye gods!  That's not the image I'm trying to create.  I briefly toyed with the idea of whether I could possibly come up with the goods but decided that I didn't have a clue where to start.  And  I haven't got the money for a dungeon or all the kit I'd need for those shenanigans.  I've just ordered my new bathroom! Anyway it gave my mum and Sugar Plumb who came with her kids for lunch a bloody good laugh.

Here's Miss Whiplash herself!  A little while ago Sol from Be Sol Be asked me to show off the narrow mirror that I brought back from my Norfolk travels.  So here it is.  It was bought in a Norwich charity shop for a tenner. If you enlarge the picture you'll see that the wood is rather lovely. I'm wearing one of my wraparound, reversible skirts.  I have four now which is enough.  This one's made by Zand Amsterdam.  Each is unique, fair traded and has a zip on waistband so can be worn four ways. There's  a useful  detachable purse as well.  They're ideal for travelling and really came into their own on our North American trip.

It's occurred to me that I really do have enough clothes, especially as my wardrobe contains versatile pieces such as these.  I read somewhere that the average woman, possibly in the UK or US buys 67 garments a year.  There's lots of reasons that I'm toying with the idea of seeing if I can make my total a big fat zero in 2016.   Countering over consumption and assuaging guilt for past demeanours in this department is the biggie.  My resolve has been lacking when it comes to the wardrobe department in the past but let's just see!

18 comments:

  1. I'd have lapsed already; I bought myself a new HAT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hats are allowed. I'm sure. Aren't they? x

      Delete
  2. I nearly spat my tea out then lol! Men are such funny creatures!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they are. Going from general chit-chat to that was a corker! x

      Delete
  3. My mind is full of questions for this cute guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I still think you're on the wrong site lol. I love your skirt I need clothes like that however like you I have enough and again like you I have decided to buy nothing at all this year apart from a new outfit in August for my nephews wedding. My husband and friends think this is incredibly funny not sure why. I'll show em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've picked the most mainstream site going, not one that caters for alternative tastes at all. And my profile spells out what I'm after. Who knows? You could always have a wraparound skirt for that wedding! x

      Delete
  5. That could erm have been an experience! I too have plenty of clothes. Been doing a non buying clothing challenge since September and have managed so far except for a charity shop scarf [I call that an accessory says she furiously bending the rules] I have a jumble sale coming up later this month though and am not sure that I will be able to resist....
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could get kitted out quite cheaply. Look out for a dog collar and lead on your charity shop forays ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's not so much the kit that would be a problem but the fact that I wouldn't be able to stop giggling. I guess that's not the demeanour that a dominatrix adopts. I stress that I'm only guessing! x

      Delete
  7. Nope, can't see the whip!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There isn't one and that's made me think of another question. How would a dominatrix hide her massive 'toy' collection away from her kids. Knowing my luck Louis would be drawn to it like a magnet even if hidden in the deepest, darkest cupboard!

      Delete
  8. Oh, I wish I could take you out for coffee/tea, I'm just bursting with things to say and ask. Not all (men) are damaged etc on the dating scene after 40, but save time by being ruthlessly yourself. Great skirt! I will immediately go up to Waterlooplein and check them out. Yes, you can go a year without buying clothes, and Cro, hats do count. They always count. They are essential! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing is that I'm not jaded and don't believe all men of a certain age are damaged. I also believe that there are some out there fixing themselves. I just know that I can't do it for them. Would be lovely to meet up and chat if our paths ever collide. x

      Delete
  9. 67 items? that is insane. Love the mirror and the light switch. A Really good fit for the space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I finally got around to showing that mirror off for you! x

      Delete