Thursday, 7 January 2016

A Veritable Charity Shop Haul

It's ugly and now taking up unnecessary room in my kitchen drawer.  How so un-William Morris!  However I was beaten down.  For the princely sum of £1.50 Louis is now the proud owner of a  very cheap and nasty  fish-shaped jelly mould. It was immediately set to work making something stripey for pudding.  Who am I to interfere with a kid's desire to create in the kitchen?   It may have been beyond the call of duty but I was downstairs at 6am on Sunday adding a blackcurrant layer so that he could present a stripey pudding to his chum who came for lunch.

And there was more charity shop finds, rich pickings this weekend.  Most of my tea towel stash went missing in storage.  I've decided that vintage is the way to go.  Have you seen the price of those things on Ebay!!!! Anyway I found a couple in the chazzas, one from the Lake District and this.  How bizarre is this! Did people in the '60s really go to university and seek out Irish linen drying clothes?




My mad wall is nigh on complete.  I'll show it off another day. I blog in bed and can't be arsed to go downstairs and take a photo. It's too snuggly here!  Saturday's delving yielded two more things to hang there.  Here's the first.  She's about six inches high and has some indeterminate European language on the back.  She's a bit reminiscent of a Russian doll and maybe hails from those parts.  Four quid well spent.  I absolutely love her.


Here's another animal head to complement the resin stag.  What woman would be able to resist a wooden giraffe's head for their mad wall?   Again it was mine for under a fiver.  I cannot remember the exact cost.

Most of the shops selling new stuff seem so sterile these days. The idea of a day of conventional retail therapy leaves me cold  I especially  avoid those big malls like the plague, unless on a sheep hunt.  Give me random displays rather than those carefully manicured aisles that are conceived to make people spend more.  And there's that warm fuzzy feeling too. An ethos of recycling and raising money for a good cause has got to be a good thing!

13 comments:

  1. I think you'll have to show him how to make a Salmon Mousse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zany- just the way I like it!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that giraffe! Have a look at this website. www.all-tea-towels.co.uk

    Another blog that I read mentioned it. The company was apparently started by a young man in Ireland and he runs it from his home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice but a bit above budget. I'm being tight! x

      Delete
  4. Whenever I go on holiday I try to buy a t-towel - one of the naff ones for tourists. It means I can remember holidays whenever I do a bit of drying of dishes. My favourite is one from Sicily, and then I found a copy in a charity shop - unused and probably an unwanted gift. Love the doll, I bought a great tin doll from a charity shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've given me an idea for holiday souvenirs. Thanks! x

      Delete
  5. absolutely adore the fish mould. I would put it on the wall in my kitchen. like the giraffe also. cant wait to see the mad wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it isn't very nice although a nice example could feature on a future mad wall! x

      Delete
  6. The Chazza's????????? never heard them called that but will call them that forever now. And I love that fish jelly mould. I would be making jelly every night just so I could use it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if I made that word up or if someone else should claim credit x

      Delete
  7. Just be careful she isn't a fertility doll - she's very round of frontage. Don't even be brushing past menfolks.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No danger there. A) It would be the immaculate conception and B) Menopause set in after I had various bits and pieces removed! x

      Delete