Thursday, 21 January 2016

Digging Down

Photo: Rightmove
This little cottage that's currently on the market caught my eye yesterday.  I'd be sorely tempted to buy  if I wasn't ultra happy in my Devon seaside pad and fancied a move to rural Shropshire.

This was previously the home of artist Antony Dracup and the cottage bears his name.  Quite rightly too for beneath that cutesy frontage lurks a secret, magical world created by its creative former owner.

Photo:  The Guardian


Most people who fancied a bit of extra living space would declutter, build an extension or move.  Not Mr Dracup.  He wielded a chisel and started carving into the sandstone on which his house was built.  The end result was this amazing cellar. Lord knows how long it must have taken him or the mess that must have been made whilst work was in progress.   I think that you might agree that all that effort was entirely worth it. This is a dream living space for humans.  I reckon a hobbit or two might be putting in offers too.

5 comments:

  1. What I could have done with my extension with a little more vision lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P'raps some arches in the extension might create the vibe you want! x

      Delete
  2. Would the sellers hold off about 15 years? What a writers retreat that cavern would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a fabulous place to cook and dine AND a party house AND a meditation zone. It's a multi-functional cavern. x

      Delete
  3. This is at the end of my road.. if you fancy a trip to lovely Shropshire you would be welcome for a cuppa.. I used to live in Budleigh Salterton and although we do not have the sea we do have a rather lovely river here in Bridgnorth.. xx

    ReplyDelete