Friday, 8 January 2016

From Potato to Peachy

2016:  A New Dawn.  There were no resolutions but I  decided that enough was enough as regards to working gratis for the NHS.  When I figured it out I discovered that I'd given more free hours than I'd taken annual leave!  And at what cost? Was I showered with thanks and considered for greater things?  I wish! From some quarters my ability to organise myself was questioned even though more was heaped on me than one person could possibly deal with.

The impact on my personal life was huge. Some nights I was too knackered even to fix myself a simple meal let alone crack on with the house.  I don't even think for a minute that I'm the only public sector worker that has been in this situation and in this place, our health is at serious risk.  I was very much in victim mode last year.  No more!  I am going to do everything in my power to preserve that lovely sense of space that hasn't been there for ages even if it means being stroppy when I need to be. It's very precious and I don't want to lose it.

I now have the energy to get the house straight.  My bathroom is due to be remodelled at the beginning of February.   With a weekend with no plans ahead it looks like I'll be able to finish decorating the landing and  crack on with creating a craft area.  And I'm using some of my free time to think about occupational therapy related stuff but that's on my own terms rather  than being from a need to stay on top of paperwork. There's reading and an article to be written this weekend. These things I do with relish rather than dread.

Most importantly I've got back into a rhythm of life that promotes well-being.  I'm eating healthily and  reading and meditating daily.  There's time to give to my friends and family when they need it. Reinstating regular exercise seemed to be the last piece in the jigsaw andyesterday I got off to a good start with doing that.

Disco Queen Vikki pointed me in the direction of NHS Choices, Couch to 5K programme, a nine week graded exercise programme with podcasts that encourages exercise on alternate days.   I've enjoyed running in the past and even done a couple of half marathons.   But where does a woman with a knee that's prone to be dodgy start? Well, downloading the app onto my phone was the beginning.  And then I spent a week procrastinating.  The weather was awful, my headphones weren't charged and I couldn't find a  sports bra, essential kit to avoid eye injury! In the end though I ran out of excuses and bit the bullet.   I stepped out in the first light of dawn to explore the neighbourhood, admire the really thin moon, the wafty clouds and the birds flying by.  There was a five minute warm-up and then eight runs lasting just one minute interspersed with ninety second walks.     It was wonderful and very achievable even on Brixham's hills.  This couch potato is a convert!

10 comments:

  1. Well done you I had to take early retirement to re-initiate my yoga and meditation practice and now I'm doing Iliona,s 1000 miles in a year walking challenge. Couldn't do anything whilst working in the NHS strange really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cashed in 200 vacation hours-the max accrual when I left my job about a year ago. That was either crazy or dumb. Now I take my flex day off every two weeks, bring just bits of work home for my convenience, but still work hard while on the clock. Good for you to take your personal life back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the pattern that I'm trying to establish. I worked an extra 90 minutes this week. I've already taken an hour back. x

      Delete
  3. Oh well done on the running. I'm a long way from that, but the 1000 mile walk is well within my capabilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm adding the running mileage to my total for Ilona's challenge. I'm hoping some long walks in holidays and at weekends will tip me over that 1000 miles. x

      Delete
  4. No one should take work home. ( I know a couple who do) If you can't do it on the clock ,then don't do it. Simple. You rarely get any thanks,but you stop doing it just once and oh aren't you the unhelpful one ? Stick to your guns and don't feel guilty. That's what they hope and you will give in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know I always had that philosophy until last year when it got dangerous clinically not to do the extra work. I'm going to be shouting much earlier if the same situation threatens again. Lessons learnt and all that! x

      Delete
  5. I took a tough 'work to rule' stance a couple of years ago. It was really difficult to maintain and self enforce at first but it's important to recognise that your time is important. Yes goodwill at school is all well and good etc but now I feel no guilt about getting to work bang on time etc. If they want me there more, I'm afraid they'd have to increase my hours and pay me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's the stand I'm now taking too. x

      Delete