Wednesday, 27 January 2016

Saturday 4pm

Photo: The Mirror
Many of a certain age (around about my own and a bit older!) know that this was the time in the 1970s when a nation stopped what it was doing. It was sacrosanct. Indeed you may have well have delayed that decision to buy those culottes in Chelsea Girl and rushed back from town for the event. For this was a time for 'serious' sporting action when a nation sat in their front rooms and watched the wrestling.  In our house Dad was on the settee whilst my siblings and I mimicked the onscreen action on the carpet.

Here's the greatest 'goodie' in action against the legendary Giant Haystacks, a forty-something stone brute of a man.  This is Shirley Crabtree aka Big Daddy of course.  Did anyone want taunt him because of that surprisingly sissy sounding real name? I think not.  They'd have been locked in a half nelson before they knew it!

7 comments:

  1. Yes watched that with my Nana...they were marvellous at bouncing off each others bellies weren't they. Don't remember ever seeing any actual blood or injuries despite the histrionics!!

    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GAWD. Flash back this is ! love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father used to sit, throwing punches, and kicking, just as if he was in the ring. And he was a very mild man. It brought out the worst in people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a photograph of myself with Giant Haystacks. I worked on the donut stall on Blackpool Pleasure Beach, which was opposite the Ice Drome. He came walking by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes I remember sitting to watch wrestling on Saturday afternoon. My favourites were the tag teams.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah - glad I brought back those memories for you all! xx

    ReplyDelete