Sunday, 24 January 2016

Seals: Like Buses

My eyesight is not as good as it used to be. Consequently my powers of observation can be lacking.  To illustrate this I'm going to tell the story that Salty Dog has been dining out on since 2014. At the Cornwall Cider and Music Festival we were shown around the orchard at Healey's Farm on the back of a tractor  It's from their apples that the rather delicious Rattler cider is made.   We were told birds of prey nested in the trees. After the tour I spotted something in the sky.  'Look!' I said excitedly to Salty Dog. 'Do you think that's one of the buzzards that live here?'.  She gave me a scathing look.  'Are you blind?' she replied. 'It's got wheels!!!!'

Yesterday Salty Dog and I made the most of a rare spell of dry weather and went for a walk.  The ground was sodden and she didn't have very robust footwear so we strolled down to the harbour and along the Breakwater. It's getting to be a bit of a habit.   There's always something different to see. Near the fish market a seal poked his head out of the water.  Now they're probably around all the time providing the tourists with photo opportunities but I've never seen one before.  I got a bit excitable as  a bit of impromptu wildlife spotting is right up my street.  And then what I erroneously thought was a big brown hessian bag was another one!  A smaller black pup, whose head you can just see poking out of the water here,  hopped onto the pontoon and joined him.  Wow and thrice wow!


The best was yet to come.  Yet another, this cheeky chappy hung around for some time and posed for pictures right near the breakwater. Why have I not seen these guys before? Is it because I haven't noticed them or are they usually more elusive? Now I know that seals hang out my harbour I'll be looking out for them!  Their presence makes a stroll very special indeed.

15 comments:

  1. Lovely. I remember seeing a school of small whales 'porpoising' off the beach in Brighton, but never Seals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to see whales. I spotted a dolphin last year off Plymouth Barbican...again with Salty Dog. She seems to be like my wildlife good luck charm!!!x

      Delete
  2. I agree, it is thrilling to see wildlife close up. I love catching sight of our local kingfisher near the ford, and a little egret is also a regular visitor to the river. There is also a heron that lets us get quite close at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now kingfishers are on my wishlist too. Do you know those egrets have only been resident here since about the 1980s. They're quite common now. x

      Delete
  3. I saw a kingfisher in the middle of Kingston [we were next to the Thames at the time granted] just before Christmas. I know what you mean about missing stuff- I went to a local church [probably the closest one to our house] and looked round it properly last weekend. Was staggered by the details I'd missed on previous visits!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone pointed out a kingfisher on the bank of the river at Kingsbridge once. Be blowed if I could see it! x

      Delete
    2. I only saw my first real kingfisher this year on holiday! He perched right on a twig outside our lodge

      Delete
  4. Maybe the buzzard had roller skates on (landing gear.)....My husband says he's seen a parrot on roller skates ! hehe. I can imagine the stick you've had. Gave me a laugh, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving it! Will put the idea of a roller skating buzzard to Salty Dog. x

      Delete
  5. We are so hoping to spot a lot of wildlife in Alaska in August. Deer, rabbits, even a fox is common place but being so land locked, sea animals would be a gift to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember seeing a seal quite a way up the River Somme, just sticking his head out of the river & having a good look around! I recently had a fairly close encounter with a barn owl at night...Luckily it glided across the road just above car roof height. It would have been terrible to hit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to ecall a similarly close shave with a barn owl in a Devon lane.x

      Delete
  7. I think new glasses should be on your wish list. (says me) who has only just seen the big brown bag thing on the pontoon! It was my husband's birthday yesterday and I've only just seen the card that I bought for him is actually an Anniversary card. It says it on the front. Funny thing...both my sisters were here yesterday and no one noticed it !

    ReplyDelete