Monday, 11 January 2016

Shades of Beautiful

Do you know the other day I was thinking about blogging about the fact that brown was my least favourite colour.  Ten minutes later Aril at Gnat Bottomed Towers beat me to it and said the exact same thing.  How spooky is that!  But then she went on to describe the hues of brown that she loved and darn me I'd already come to the same conclusion.  Even though it's not a colour I'd contemplate as a decorating scheme or to wear, I love the variation in  autumn leaves, tree bark, polished and waxed wood, the hue of dark skin and chocolate.  Lest not forget that one!

In the olden days when I was a miserable goth who contemplated her own navel far too much I clad myself top to toe in black and grey. Thankfully that's no more.  Okay there's leggings and vests and the odd jumper in these neutral tones but my wardrobe is vibrant these days. Blues and pinks predominate and you'd be given for thinking either of these might be my favourite choice from the pallette.   You'd be wrong. For, in the right place, I find all the infinite shades in the spectrum equally beautiful.  These dear little birdies so wonderfully demonstrate this.

10 comments:

  1. My clothes have got more colourful as I get older. I despair when I go to a "do" and it looks more like a funeral party as most of the women are in black!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently I heard on the Radio before Christmas that green is the new black in terms of evening wear. Of course as I non follower of fashion I'm probably out of date. Too much black looks draining with my grey hair but a bottle green is quite lovely. x

      Delete
  2. My clothing choices aren't very colourful, but my decorating choices are. The kitchen is an homage to 1970's brown and orange, the lounge is green and white, our bedroom is dark red and cream, KL's bedroom is green, pink and white, and the attic room is furnished with things I've made from 1970's sheets so is very multi-coloured! The only neutrals are the shower room and loo. The shower room is cream, white and pale grey, the loo is charcoal grey.
    I wear a bit more colour in Summer ( I have some colourful dresses and cardigans but didn't get to wear a single dress last year as the weather was so awful), but Autumn and Winter have been spent in black, grey and shades of brown, all of which I love and feel most comfortable in. Fortunately, after this latest, and unexpected, weight loss I had some black jeans in smaller sizes which had belonged to KL so I just had to buy some new jumpers. Frances would despair of me - I'm off to a ' do' at the end of this month and will be wearing black and cream ( all parts of the outfit are KL's cast-offs and I feel great in them which is the most important thing to me, particularly as I'll be seeing lots of people that I haven't seen for over 30 years!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful summing up of the colour in your life. Take extra good care of yourself and enjoy that do!! xx

      Delete
  3. The problem with brown is what I automatically associate it with! So lovely to come across a shot of bright colours after the news of DB today.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am of the age where Bowie's death has hit hard. He was such a feature of my '70s childhood and beyond. x

      Delete
  4. i wear more colour now since I realised when one is as fat and round as me, black really isn't that slimming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's embrace our fat bits through the use of colour!!!! x

      Delete
  5. I hate wearing brown since it was my Grammar School uniform colour. I generally wear bright pink, lilac, purple and turquoise. I have the same attitude as our Queen who wears brights because she is small 'and people might not notice me'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was put off green for the school uniform reason for a long time. Love the Queen's attitude!

      Delete