Tuesday, 26 January 2016

Slowly Does It: Lemony Chicken

My poorly knee with the ACL repair is playing up yet again.  I thought that I'd  be able to keep on target with the Couch to 5K challenge as it's a rather gentle way of getting back into the habit of regular exercise.  Those little trots around the block were enjoyable.   However pain below the patella that causes me to wake in the night has halted progress.  Instead I'm opting for  the gentler alternative of walking 10,000 steps daily until that niggling subsides.

Yesterday saw me strolling before daylight to our local Costcutters for a couple of lemons and tin foil.  For these were the missing items needed for an slow cooker recipe that Barbie Nurse had shared with me.   It was easy-peasy and reported to be lush.

Defrost a yellow stickered good quality chicken. Overnight of course.  You'll be in danger of making yourself very poorly if you try to speed up the process with a bucket of boiling water. I've cuddled the toilet and wanted to die for a couple of days when I've had food poisoning. Believe me it's not something that I'd wish to inflict on anyone.

Make some tin foil balls and pop in the bottom of the slow cooker. Mine were about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.  Be sensible with the size or you won't get the lid on.

Rub the chicken with a bit of oil, season with salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Shove half a lemon up its jacksy.  Use your imagination if you don't know what the word means.  You'll probably get it right.  Pop the chicken on top of the tin foil.

Surround the chicken with lemon wedges and the unpeeled cloves from a head of garlic.

Pop on the lid and cook on low for about ten hours.  No extra water or nothing.  The flesh just falls off the bones.   You'll see from my before and after shots that you don't get the crispy skin of a roast but no matter.  'This chicken is so good!'  announced Louis. Take his word for it.  He's a bit of a meat eating connoisseur. 

11 comments:

  1. I always put lemon inside a bird when roasting, along with plenty of Rosemary. Your dish sounds delicious, but I think I'd miss the crispy skin. Couldn't you take the lid off for the last 30 mins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be nice wouldn't it? But I didn't want to risk it and dry the chicken out. x

      Delete
  2. That look and sounds good! I'd miss the skin too, but I'd get over it pretty quickly I think when I tasted the juicy flesh. Mr D doesn't like skin anyway, so it would suit him :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always brine my chickens for a few hours with lots of lemons salt and wot ever else I have before cooking gives lovely moist tasty flesh then I can have crispy skin. I don't own a slow cooker anymore which is a pity otherwise would try your recipe. May have a look for a second hand one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your recipe sounds delcious but mine was probably quicker to prepare (minus the walk to the shop!) x

      Delete
  4. Ohhh I've always done it with water- never balls of foil. If there is a reduced chook tonight at the shop I'm doing it LG way xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually the Barbie Nurse way. I'll give her the credit! x

      Delete
  5. MMM, and I'm thinking of the great chicken noodle soup you can get after you and Louis eat the main bird. I hope you saved the drippings-good stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A soup would be good but believe me there's nothing left after sneaky tastes before the bird was served, the main meal and a few sandwiches! x

      Delete
  6. it feels like i can smell it through the monitor! Chicken looks unbelievable delicious. I'm sure your knees are getting better. It's up to your perseverance.

    ReplyDelete