Monday, 8 February 2016

4/67

Have you ever marvelled what's inside a lightbulb?   That's why one features as the picture for today's post. It's quite intricate. Perhaps it's just me that finds them beautiful.  I'll admit to being well geeky at times.

I'm travelling back to Devon this morning.  I have appointments to attend and Louis is back with me after school tonight.  There's no rest for the wicked even if they have a sick note.  My short trip to Southend-on-Sea involved a visit to my favourite seafront cafe to mainline coffee with my old schoolfriend Calamity Jane.  It's right on the beach, the tide was in and the waves were HUGE!!!! I also wandered into town with Mum with a shopping list.  Yep, lightbulbs were on it.  I'm managed to knock over both my bedside lamps in the last week.  Being accident prone is expensive.

It's rare that I venture into a proper town centre. My usual shopping haunts are the small towns of the South Hams and the relative metropolis of  Newton Abbot.    I like Mutley Plain in Plymouth too as that's stuffed to the gunnels with charity shops that have been very fruitful hunting grounds in the past.

Remember my resolution not to buy clothes in 2016? Well,  surprise, surprise, with that wealth of retail opportunity,  it's gone out of the window.  But let me hastily explain. Black leggings are a staple of my wardrobe.  I wear them with boots instead of tights.  Given that I am Frank Spencer's female alter ego  I managed to cover several of them with paint during recent decorating endeavours.  Now most of the remaining pairs have started to get indecently holey.   So after browsing in several clothes shops as I am fussy about length, texture and thickness I bought four new pairs.   They were planned purchases. Believe me I resisted lots of gorgeousness including dresses in TKMaxx and H&M that were right up my street.  I reminded myself I have a house to decorate and travel plans to fulfil.  It did the trick.

So I have revised my wardrobe replenishment plans from zero for 2016.   I've shown myself that I can resist the frou-frou.   For  comfort and decency I'll allow myself replace the basics if they wear out.  That should still keep me well below that figure for the  annual number of clothes purchased by women of sixty seven.  If I can sustain the willpower I'll be well pleased.   Watch for a future post where I make excuses and change the rules again!

19 comments:

  1. I need a pair of jeans, but have no idea what size to buy. I'm useless when it comes to either trousers or shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trousers are tricky. That's why I wear skirts and dresses. Might not work for you! x

      Delete
    2. Could be a solution. Might suit you! x

      Delete
  2. I have not bought any new clothes for six months. However last night I succumbed and bought hiking boots from Amazon. They are a necessity and I need new. I sold enough of my stuff on eBay to cover the cost. Leggings are a necessity in my view and I need these too. I can't say I've ever noticed the beauty in a light bulb but I'm gonna take a look. This is why I've come to love others blogs they open up my mind to a new way of thinking(especially yours).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hiking boots might last a while yet. I might need a wedding outfit later in the year for a very special occasion. x

      Delete
  3. I was only admiring some light bulbs yesterday lunchtime. We were in "The Turf", the oldest pub in Oxford, with my son, husband, and dog and they had those long " old fashioned" type of bulb that is the main thing rather than having a fancy shade. Do you know the ones I mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No but will go on a geeky hunt round the Internet to admire a different type of filament! x

      Delete
    2. My husband says that they are LEDs made to look like some of the first bulbs!

      Delete
  4. They look like a piece of artwork in the middle don't they. Re no clothes I've been pretty good too except for sparkly shoes for 30p but a couple of scarves have sneaked under the radar. I don't want to be a martyr it really doesn't suit me and this way it acts like a damage limitation exercise!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh 30p sparkly shoes. Now I may have been tempted!!! x

      Delete
  5. I lived in Westcliff on Sea back in the seventies. My favourite place was Rossi's on the seafront. I went back to Rossi's in 2010 - it was much the same, to my great pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm their lemon sorbet-like ice!!!!! x

      Delete
  6. The average woman buys 67 articles of clothing? I too even in nonfrugal days wouldn't approach that. Perhaps counting each individual sock, hosery, panty etc. Good plan though. Indecenct dressing might not do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll 'fess up and say that may have surpassed that figure in my clothes horse past. It seems such a waste of money now. x

      Delete
  7. I just bought a batch of knock down price LED light bulbs from Debenhams blue cross sale. The ones in my lounge are always blowing! Have a look. Got a right bargain! The light they give off is amazing! I'm us d to like amber net lighting, but these days, I much prefer to be able to see!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a look but they're not the ones I need :( x

      Delete
  8. The centre of a lightbulb is rather amazing. See what one artist does with glass, after spending his day making scientific glass.

    http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2016/01/kiva-ford-glass/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoah! MIght have to do a post on that one in its one right! xx

      Delete