Tuesday, 9 February 2016

Burgers And The Bible

It's occurred to me that I no longer browse through recipe books as often as I used to.  I've still got a reasonable sized collection housed on one of the shelves in my utility tallboy.  My arty books, that don't get much use either, are on the other.  The Internet has taken over whenever I'm looking for something to cook or a crafting technique. In some ways it's a bit sad.

Maybe this is the reason that I didn't buy A Girl Called Jack  when after it was published in spite of those thrifty recipes being right up my street. I'm a bit of a fan of Jack Monroe in terms of values, tenacity and sassiness. There's brownie points for demonstrating that people from Essex don't all fit the TOWIE stereotype.  It seems that neither of us is particularly keen on Katie Hopkins either who brings shame on my current homeland of Devon.

There's an early life here that somewhat parallels to my own. We both had working class childhoods in Southend-on-Sea and were educated at grammar schools, albeit different ones, in the town. Those years weren't particularly happy  for me. I was often ostracised by better off pupils and their parents for being common.   Conversely my solitary bright green uniform meant that I was alienated on my own estate where  the other kids, who went to the local secondary modern or comprehensive, labelled me a snob.  It was all a bit puzzling. Jack is younger so let's hope that attitudes had moved on for a later generation though I suspect that, given Katie Hopkins' attitude, things have changed little down the years.

Thankfully Mum still adds to her paper based recipe collection and she'd bought the book after I'd told her about Jack.   Even though she's better off than she ever has been as a pensioner she still loves making her pennies stretch as far as possible.   I had a look through whilst I was back in Essex last weekend.  There was lots to tempt. Those 9p burgers definitely seem worth a go and instructions are thankfully available in cyberland.

At the start of the book before the recipes I was surprised to find a  quote from the New International version of the bible which accompanied a picture of Jack with their boy child . I shared it with my old school chum, Calamity Jane, who liked the words too and is going to use them to send her own bigger son off  when he goes travelling later in the year.   Even though some Christians might find their use out of context, I'm going to borrow them to accompany today's picture as well.     It seems that we have a common source of happiness as well as childhood similarities.

'This is my son whom I love; with him I am well pleased'.  Matthew 3:17.

9 comments:

  1. I'm not sure about too much frugality; I would classify myself as 'frugal', but never at the expense of being a gourmet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think devising the recipes for Jack Monroe was borne out of necessity. They were having to pawn their possessions to feed their child. I'm in luckier circumstances and can afford to go gourmet some of the time. But with all the work on the house I'm having to be especially careful with my pennies and making delicious meals for pennies is particularly appealing at the moment.x

      Delete
  2. I am also a big fan of Jack, and yet also haven't bought the book... Like you, I increasingly turn to the Internet for recipes.
    To Cro: they maybe budget but Jack's recipes are always tasty! Think of them in the vein of traditional thrifty French cuisine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack Munroe fab, Katie Hopkins yuk, lovely quote, however what amazes me is how you generate such an interesting beautifully written post every morning before I've even had my first thought of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often schedule ahead and sometimes write two or three posts in a day so that I can have a break. There's a little more time on my hands at the moment to be more reflective. x

      Delete
  4. I haven't found a US distribution of Jack's book but I did the kickstarter for her new self published.I'll end up giving to my daughter. I have used her online recipes, adapting to ingrediebts I have. To Cromagnon man-some recipes have been so delucious, I'd call them gourmet. I have a simple palate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, maybe the words are taken out of context, but they fit very well in your context...and I think God is big enough not to mind!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicely put. I think he'd be okay with it! x

      Delete
  6. That is a nice quote - I'm usually well pleased with my sons in the abstract, less so when they put washing in the basket without removing tissues and stones and so on.

    I have a ton of recipe books too, also suffering a little from 'lets just google it' syndrome. I think the internet has the advantage that recipes are often ready tweaked and critiqued by people who've already tried them, whereas you just have to take a recipe book writer's word for it that they work! I did get a fantastic one for Christmas from my mum called 'Game of Scones' though.

    ReplyDelete