Friday, 26 February 2016

Check In And China

Wendy at the Contented Cavern, who appears to be off on her own travels,  asked me to show off my purchases from Granada and here they are.  Beautiful colourful ceramics are a snip out there even in the main tourist part of town.  The whole lot came to a shade over 30 Euros.  Even though I'm at home my new pretty stuff hasn't arrived yet.  I was sharing a suitcase with Salty Dog and the logistics of getting everything home without incurring excess baggage charges had to be well planned.  So my treasure trove went home with Sugar Plumb.  I'll be reunited with it in a couple of weekends time.


This is my favourite piece, a pot stand that naturally, will be going on a wall!  The colour palette and design can be inspiration for my own creative ventures. Organising luggage isn't the only thing that can induce a headache during air travel.  I find automated check in bewildering and the whole airport experience a bit of a nightmare.  The worst is the fear of leaving something behind in an inappropriate place.  I wouldn't mind if everything stayed packed but oh no. Documents and laptops are in and out of bags like yo-yos and then there's all that stripping that you have to do through security. Of course I'm always wearing my most unwieldy stuff, again to cut down checked in weight.  Half a tonne of clothing has to be removed to ensure that dreaded machine doesn't beep.

This canvas print  by an unknown artist from Barcelona caught my eye in a tourist shop in Frigiliana.  It was as cheap as chips and light so was packed with my own possession.  It will hang in my work area that needs jollying up.  I love the fact that there's a sea-inspired theme but it doesn't have a conventional nautical feel to it.

Security at the airport was even more tension invoking yesterday.  I was called aside and my rucksack was swabbed for goodness knows what.  Do I fit the profile for a drug dealer or terrorist?   I  think not.
I'm not into lawbreaking anyway but especially not crime on a major scale in a foreign land. The whole airport experience is stressful enough without the added 'excitement' of throwing a bit of criminality into the equation!


14 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I look the pot stand in particular. I can just imagine how lovely it will look on your white walls :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I want that wall hanging. Wonder if I can make one ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a go. I'm sure that you could rustle up something similiar x

      Delete
  3. Love the art haul!! particularly the lizard and the canvas print, gorgeous.

    In regards to the airport, I don't want to say 'don't worry about it' because I think that's unhelpful, but more perhaps 'try not to take it personally'? I have been told before that they have to swab a certain number of random people's bags for drugs (assume this is what your belongings were swabbed for), or a % of people who go through as it were. I have been pulled aside a couple of times for this in the last few years and once I asked why I had been chosen and was told this - that it was random.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if I don't take it personally it's still stressy although less so than the 'naked person' machine that I had to go through at Heathrow a few years ago! x

      Delete
  4. That canvas print is gorgeous LG!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My youngest headibg tp Spain in 3 weeks and I wouldn't mind if a little piece of ceramic made it back for me. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will love Spain. Drop heavy hints about the ceramics beforehand! x

      Delete
  6. I took my wife to the airport on Thursday. Her main concern was which shoes to wear in case she was asked to remove them. How travel has changed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have done the same thing IF we weren't so restricted on baggage. x

      Delete
  7. I had my hands swabbed when we went to Dusseldorf last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They must have a terrorist profile that fits women over a certain age that you and I have reached! x

      Delete
  8. Your holiday trinkets are lovely and bright. I have a similar mosaic candle holder that was given to me.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your purchases! I always get pulled over at airports, usually because I have something in my hand luggage that concerns them. Once after a lengthy search and much hassle they decided that I was possibly wearing too much jewellery and their machine kept beeping! I think you need to factor in 'staring at the wall, thinking time' to your schedule. In Eat, Pray, Love she is told that in Italian it is Bel far Niente - the beauty of doing nothing! ( my translation).

    ReplyDelete