Sunday, 28 February 2016

Comida Glorious Comida

Let's return to Spain.  Why ever not! It is a blooming marvellous country. While I was there last week I did rather a lot of eating.  Meals were prepared at our finca by the gang, tapas that came free with drinks were consumed with gusto and we ate out rather more than we would do at home.  This is part of the finest meal that I've had for a very long time following a winery tour at the Bodegas Bentomiz.   I cannot praise this place highly enough and I'm not alone  Critics who know a hell of a lot more than me are truly enamoured with the place.

My own cooking style is way more rustic.  I'll leave the fancy styling to the professionals.  These were my own peppers, a take on an old Delia Smith recipe.  They're each stuffed with an anchovy, an olive and a scattering of chopped garlic.  All that's then needed is a bit of seasoning and a drizzle of olive oil before they get baked in the oven.

I also served up Nigella's Spanish Stew although adapted the recipe by leaving the whole think to stew on the stove top rather than transferring to the oven.  If you follow this recipe remember to leave the lid off.  You get a wholly different and more liquidy beastie if you don't.  Eggs Flamenco of course made an appearance and I also made up a recipe using slices of fried aubergine and potato which I layered in a big cooking pot with cheese and tomatoes and then popped in the oven under browned on top.  No photo but take my word for it.  It was lush!

6 comments:

  1. I've just been watching Rick Stein's series on Spain. For a foodie who loves Spain, it's essential viewing. You'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try and hunt it down. Sounds like a goodie. Saw Rick Stein once in Padstow being followed around by a Japanese film crew. x

      Delete
  2. The peppers look delicious. Was in Padstow a few years ago. Looking forward to a meal in his restaurant. Too expensive for us though. Remember naughty Chalkie catching and killing a little rabbit ? In (I think) Delia Smith's garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ex-mother in law had a Jack Russell that lived to a ripe old age. He was still up for tackling a rabbit in his later years even though he could hardly see.x

      Delete
  3. Your aubergine and potato dish sounds yummy! I have a great selection of torn out tapas recipes - one day I may even get round to making them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tapas are great. There's another one that I used to rustle up that I must resurrect. It involves stuffing chicory leaves with a mixture of blue cheese and sour cream laced with a bit of anise or vodka and then topped with paprika and a walnut. Again lush! x

      Delete