Wednesday, 17 February 2016

Flocking Marvellous!




Here's a fascinating little video from the olden days showing how posh wallpaper was made in the 1960s.  I'm betting that if you're prepared to spend a bob or two on an artisan produced roll today the processes that you see here won't have changed very much.

And have you ever wondered how flock wallpaper, the standard decor in a  '70s Indian restaurant or old fashioned French hotel was made.  Of course you have!  Well here's a  video that will well and truly sate your curiosity. It's just like fluffy glitter. I bet you'll all be wanting a flocking tank of your own! 

9 comments:

  1. It's actually so clever if you really think about how they made it! I also think a lot of the workers died from lung diseases BC the flock was breathed in? I'm sure I watched a documentary on it.
    In other news, that chicken is divine! I'm so glad I read your blog X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of service. Must do that chicken again when I return from my travels! xx

      Delete
  2. Many years ago when I was a student nurse I shared a house with a couple of other girls on my course. The whole place was decorated in red flock wallpaper. The house was also carpeted in dark red swirls. We thought it was fab lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wacky. With my taste in white walls it would drive me nuts! x

      Delete
  3. I saw this film the other day, it's wonderful to see the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fascinating watch! I've always loved flock wallpaper, these trendy Indian restaurants aren't the same now they've gone all minimal! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even with minimal they could perhaps pay homage to the old days, just with one wall to stroke! x

      Delete
  5. Brilliant, really interesting film!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to work for a greetings card company and we used similar processes to finish some of the cards. I really disliked the 'flitter' process since it got everywhere and we could be covered for days.

    ReplyDelete