Friday, 5 February 2016

Love It!

Photo:  BBC
Noooooo!  I'd run out.  Marmite was on my shopping list this week.  A big £4.50 jar as those poxy little ones don't last five minutes in this house. That's even though Louis views the stuff as devil spawn.  I have expressed the view before that he could be a changeling based solely on this fact.  What's there not to love about a salty something on buttered toast.  Funnily enough I don't pile it on thick.  My spreading action is just a gesture.  A little goes a long way.

I love the fact that there is this sculptural homage to Marmite in Burton on Trent, the town where the product is made.  If you click on the link below the photo you'll find out some facts about my favourite savoury spread.  I was particularly taken by the idea that prisoners use it as a constituent of illicitly made hooch.  Allegedly the Dartmoor lot were making one called Marmite Mule.  It can't be true.  If it were, the story would have definitely been told in that kooky prison museum!

14 comments:

  1. I love the stuff. Before we became bloggy pals I write this in homage to it!

    http://eternally28.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/sandwiches-school-and-socks-in-that.html

    Me and Miss 21 love it. The HG and Mr 18 are just weirdos because they claim it's disgusting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh marbling. Now that's the word that I was looking for! x

      Delete
  2. We all love it- cheese straws with Marmite. Mmmm
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually in Stoke-On-Trent as I write visiting my mum I think I may pop into Burton just to view that marvellous marmite sculpture I knew nothing about. It's true that you either love it or hate it, my four kids are divided down the middle one granddaughter loves it the other turns her little nose up. I'm a big fan tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you went to see it and it didn't disappoint. x

      Delete
  4. I love the stuff - in fact I may have to have some on toast for my lunch now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that maybe a taste even this American Anglophile might pass on. To be fair, I've never tried, so shouldn't close my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it defo. Don't think that Vegemite is the same thing. It isn't x

      Delete
  6. Ah, Marmite on toast! I have it every day for breakfast. I managed to find a 500g jar for £4 at Iceland. You're right those piddling little ones don't last very long at all.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I wrote this I had marmite on cheese and pumpkin bread for breakfast. Yum! x

      Delete
  7. I buy the big squeezy jars. I cannot stand finding bits of butter in amongst my Marmite; the squeezy jars eliminate this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you get those in E. Leclerc then or do you rely on kindly relatives to keep you supplied from the UK? x

      Delete
  8. Life without Marmite is no life at all. Love the stuff.

    ReplyDelete