Saturday, 20 February 2016

Me Cave Woman, Make Fire!

Look what I made yesterday!  It's probably the first time that I've built a fire on my own since I was a Girl Guide.  I started it with a few bits of cardboard, oodles of that squirty lighter fuel, squillions of matches and a wine cork. We seem to have a few of those here.    Ray Mears, eat your heart out!

I had a little fantasy that's cleaner than the one with Russell Crowe in the gladiator outfit with no pants.  It involves having a log burner and collecting my wood in a big rucksack when I go for walks.  Then I decided that it would be too much of a pfaff. My firemaking experience has awakened something primeval.  I found it tremendously satisfying.  Maybe I will after all make space for flames in my own home.

7 comments:

  1. I do love your posts. We have a log burning stove at home and spend a lot of time talking about collecting wood when out walking. We live across the road from woods and common land so it's not far to carry. We have had the log burner for just over a year, the wood collection has not happened it's a lovely fantasy lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judging by the huge loads of wood that our neighbours have delivered for their wood burner, I think that collecting a few bits in your rucksack would not last for long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friends of mine have a fire pit in their back garden....'tis splendid!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Move over Bear Grylls, lovely grey will warm the day! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a fire pit in the back yard as do most neighbors and friends. It's a regular occurence once snow melts enough for them to be uncovered to have weekend fires. I hope by end of March. Some use the portable ones and use driveways all year round. Love fire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bloody love a good bonfire ! I'll find anything to chuck on just to keep it going ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use White Spirit. About half a glass full and WOOOOMPH, there's no stopping it.

    ReplyDelete