Friday, 19 February 2016

Proper Milk

I have in mind that I might live in France one day.  Either Brittany or somewhere south of Bordeaux where I have easy access to sea and mountains.    However I'm coming around to the idea that Spain could be a goer too.

On our trip up from the airport we stopped off to stock up on provisions in a Dia supermarket. Salty Dog has lived in Spain.  'This will do.' she said.  'It's dead cheap.'  We were catering for seven so cost definitely comes into play.  Even so, as a foodie, I am fussy.

I need not have worried.  The choice was great, lots of fresh fruit and veg and interesting Spanish fayre that would cost a fortune at home.  The price of our overloaded trolley which included shedloads of alcohol for our house party was a shade over 200 Euros.  We estimated it would have been more than double that in England.

There was no fresh milk though.  Just the boiled to death UHT kind that tastes minging in tea.  That swayed it for me.  France it was gonna be, even though their food prices were way higher. That was until we popped into Lidl yesterday and found some of the proper stuff.   Yay!  The little house in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada isn't out of the question after all.

6 comments:

  1. You can't beat a decent cuppa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PG with real milk is the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proper Yorkshire tea with proper milk.... bliss

    ReplyDelete
  4. I buy French long-life milk.... it's OK. It always used to have a weird taste, but they've managed to avoid that now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love France and Spain and Italy but I love the Greek island of Samos more. Fell in love with it a couple of years ago and now it's my second home. Hope you having a fab time and feeling refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And here I dream of living in the UK some day and you all will be heading eastward.Actually, I would love to split my intercontinental living to a variety of places, and both Spain and France are on the list, along with Portugal and Italy, and Belgium. Have a great girls weekend and I want some retelling of tales come Monday.

    ReplyDelete