Sunday, 14 February 2016

Valentine's Day: Bah Humbug!

For those hopeless romantics  I suggest you go elsewhere.  I wish you well in your hunt of inspired gooeyness.  May your day be truly special and full of love, kisses and soppy stuff!

The 14th February has always passed  like an ordinary day for me.  I've never been showered with flowers, cards, champers and chocolate or wined and dined to the strains of someone declaring their undying love.  The men in my life have  mostly been of the a) poor  or b) tight walleted varieties.  'How much!' you might have heard them say as they perused the special menus with their over- inflated prices.  To be honest I've been with then on this. I'm always suspicious that food and service would not be so good on a day where a restaurant is packed out or the roses in that bouquet wouldn't last as long as normal.

It's not that I'm adverse to a little romance but of the spontaneous non-commercial type.   I can be deeply touched by small loving gestures,  especially flowers and  thoughtful deeds and words.  I probably wouldn't baulk at hugely expensive outpourings either.  Bring on that trip to Easter Island with the man with a beautiful artisan crafted engagement ring in his pocket!  It's unlikely to happen anytime yet.  Depending on the perspective at any given time, I'm still apathetic or fussy when it comes to my own search for love. And maybe it's not the right time.   Okay I'll grant you that relationships come with the rough and the smooth.  But who'd want to start out on the rest of life's journey with someone who's got a bit of a stress head on?

It could seem like I'm cocking a snook with the picture today but that's  not the case.  I didn't know anything about St Valentine until I saw it.  Given his story I'm genuinely puzzled as to how this particular saint became associated with love and romance.  A little bit of research didn't set me straight.  There was mention that it had something to do with Chaucer but I'm none the wiser.

And here's  song titled 'Valentine'.  Except it's about break up and doesn't really set the tone .  However it's one that I'm partial too  as it's clever, quirky and catchy.   For those more conventional hopeless romantics who've somehow stayed the course  here's a link to 'Unchained Melody'.  I find this golden oldie incredibly touching.  Maybe there's hope yet!

7 comments:

  1. Just Friday a coworker said St Valentine did secret marriages for people not allowed under the laws of the time to marry. I haven't attempted to look up that version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know the story either but I do know that overpriced restaurant meals, roses ( only £5 from Morrison's - how romantic) won't do it for me at all. I may be grumpy and old but I don't need a communal day to express mylove. Love for me is expressed by kind gestures all year round - or even the three hours spent trying to sort out my old computer with no complaining. Happy days to you everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im with Carole I dont need a day on a calendar to prompt me to be kind to the Mr.

    I like to think that maybe it should be more like thanksgiving. A day in cold and normally wet February where you gather loved ones, old and young. No expectation of christmas presents. Just to be in each others company, in a silent prayer that says "these are my people, no matter what I am loved".

    Happy Valentines day Lovelygrey, beaming a bit of love out into the ether. Sol xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for good wishes and love sent out in the ether! x

      Delete
  4. We had Christmas Dinner last night, with Mumm Champagne and the obligatory offering of Chocs. Lady Magnon asked me if it was stuff that was left over from the previous Christmas. I do my best, but.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless! How could she have not noticed? x

      Delete