Friday, 25 March 2016

A Big Old Edwardian

Even though I regard myself as pretty darn funky I don't think I'm  on trend or, ever will be.  I've absolutely no idea what's fashionable.  With music, books, food, art and clothes I like what I like.  It's probably why my son thinks that I am uber-uncool.  I take umbrage with that!

My way of designing an interior is pretty simple.  I fill it with stuff  that I'm certain I'll be able to live with for the rest of my life.  It seems that I've been going hell for leather to kit out the house that we moved into last July. But  I don't want to be faffing around prettifying my home forever.  Once it's done, I'll leave well alone and have time to spend on more exciting stuff. I won't be changing my furniture and soft furnishings to keep up with the current fads. That'll be it.

I'm confident  that my home will never feel  dated. The key seems to be mixing and matching items and not going with any one dominant theme. I've got the lot here, a mixture of different eras and materials.    Of course I have shelving from Ikea. Doesn't 99% of the population who live within a three hundred mile radius of one of their shops make the sacred meatball pilgrimage? But for  key pieces I look to the secondhand market and snap up items for a fraction of the price of new furniture in mid range stores.

My excitement levels rose to a crescendo the other day when I found this on Ebay.  Just what I was looking for to make a statement in the boudoir department.   It's by Maple & Co who were the most successful furniture makers of  the Victorian and Edwardian periods.   The proportion are just right for the alcove that'll be its new home.  I got it for just over £200, not a rock bottom price, but I'm happy that's this is  a bargain given the quality . There'll be a little wait for it to arrive as the seller has to arrange a courier.  But once it's here it's going in my bedroom as a companion to my huge Edwardian wardroom. I'm sure they'll look fine and dandy together.  The utility chest of drawers  that seems out of  place will be rehoused in the spare room.

I know that there will be doubting Thomas' out there that will think that I've bought a pup. Yes this is big and heavy and dark wood.  No, Sugar Plumb!  I'm not going to get out the chalk paint and 'shabby chic' it . Look at that beautiful grain of that oak.  That shouldn't be covered up.  I'll show it off again when it's in situ.  I promise that it will look alright.

15 comments:

  1. Frankly, what can you buy for £200 these days! That looks pretty good to me; and by Maple's too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful piece of furniture, I just adore old solid wood things, we've bought several pieces over the last year or two, to replace modern cheap, frankly crap, stuff. Buying second hand you get good quality for a fabulous price, and you know it will last you for years and years.....what's not to like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That piece of furniture is magnificent. I have never set foot in an IKEA, I may go this year as a retirement trip just for the experience although I doubt I will buy anything lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go - even if it is for the meatballs. And there is some good stuff. I'm trying to the prints that they make an exact fit for their frames. x

      Delete
  4. A beautiful piece of furnature.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Edwardians made such elegant furniture.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they got all the ornate nonsense out of their systems at the end of the Victorian period. x

      Delete
  6. I share your sentiments about funishing a home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen it in quite a few homes of some of the retired designers/architects that I've visited over the years. x

      Delete
  7. My house is like that. We have my husbands old (not fantastic oak or maple-was blond and bland) dresser and night stand that was a hand me down to his parents from someone else, so truly old forgotten, nondescript pieces, but with black paint they look contemporary, but not overly modern, and no doubt when we are done in another 30 years, someone else can take them to use. Great find on your piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like the idea of the black furniture. I've got black bedside tables. It works. x

      Delete
  8. It's beautiful, and I wouldn't allow paint anywhere near it either. Our bedroom furniture is mahogany inlaid with satinwood and another wood, and that will never be painted. My recent purchase of old wooden furniture for KL's room is not the same quality, hence me spending most of the last week with a paintbrush in my hand!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are like it. I'm thrilled with it! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's vair sleek. you wouldn't get anything as beautiful for that money these days brand new. Or for any money actually. It's all sameY sameY stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the shape of the feet. And the colour is lovely. I prefer dark wood. Very nice. and a VERY good price. Cant wait to see what it looks like in its final place. I dont want someone to date my house by the wall paper on the wall. If we stay in this house we are doing it once and then never again! it is all such hard work.

    ReplyDelete