Saturday, 5 March 2016

A Bit of Japanese Culture


There are two books called Norwegian Wood, probably both named after a Beatles song that I never knew existed. I know that it's sacrilege to say so but I'm not really a fan. The first one that I heard about is a nerdy tome by a Norwegian about the art of chopping, stacking and burning logs.  It kind of appealed but I'll wait until the fitting of a wood burner is imminent before I'll get into that one.

The second is a Japanese modern classic, a story that captures extreme angst in young adulthood.  It was huge in its native country, probably because of its appeal to Emo students and it propelled Murakami, its author to reluctant superstar status.  You may have worked out ready that  it's not a happy read - I think I counted four suicides - but it's beautifully written and absorbing. Unlike many books that are deemed worthy of translation into English I found it an easy read.    Don't go there though if you're after something chirpy and avoid if you have the disposition of Mary Whitehouse.  There's plenty of 'rude' bits that would definitely shock.

I was quite taken by the character of Midori, seemingly the most stable of the women in Watanabe, the main character's life.  I love these words that she uses to lay her cards out on the table.

" I'm a real, live girl with real,live blood rushing through my veins. You're holding me in your arms and I'm telling you that I love you.  I'm ready to do anything you tell me to do.  I may be a little bit mad, but I'm a good girl,  and honest and I work hard.  I'm kind of cute, I have nice boobs, I'm a good cook and my father left me a trust fund. I mean, I'm a real bargain, don't you think? If you don't take me, I'll end up going somewhere else.'

Maybe I should adapt these for my dating site profile.  It seems a pretty good fit except the bit about a willingness to be obedient.  Oh, and  unfortunately there's no trust fund either!


4 comments:

  1. I can't say that you have given me a desire to read that book, I might be too close to the edge at present.

    I hated the Beatles and even now will turn my radio off if someone starts to play one of their songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I thought I was the only one! Take care,of yourself. x

      Delete
  2. I spent years looking for a girl like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope Lady Magnon came up to scratch! x

      Delete