Thursday, 3 March 2016

''Can You See Him Yet?'

Maybe it still feels too early for a return to the intensity of clinical work but I was pleased that the doctor agreed that I could still help the Prof with one of her research projects.  So here I am oop North for a couple of training days.  'Tell me when you spot The Angel of the North'. she said.  I scanned the distant hills for I expected him to be installed on a lofty outcrop or ridge.

 I didn't see him until we'd almost tripped over his foot.  To my surprise and delight he stands just off a roundabout near a housing estate. The folks in adjacent tower blocks must have a great view.   So he's down at ground level amongst the people.  Surely that's where art and angels are supposed to be!

7 comments:

  1. I like Gormley's work. The angel is beautiful, though I have only seen it from the nearby road. Have you seen the iron men on the beach at Crosby? We were there a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's not a part of the world I've been to. Might take it in one day though. x

      Delete
  2. "So he's down at ground level amongst the people.  Surely that's where art and angels are supposed to be!" Best blog quote of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it does creep up on you for something so big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eyesight isn't particularly good. I thought that the wings were a flat roof and the head was a chimney. x

      Delete
  4. I love Gormley's work and I think this is the best so far.

    ReplyDelete