Wednesday, 16 March 2016

Pet Therapy

This picture is for the animal lovers out there for I reckon there's a few of you. Some people assume, that as I'm adamantly against owning a pet myself, that I'm not one.  Not at all.  It's something that I've thought through  and decided the responsibility that comes with a non human family member is not for me.  I want to be free to bugger off wherever the mood takes me without having to think about who's going to look after my four legged, finned or winged companion while I'm gone. For that reason I'm never going to be one of those people who impulse buys a puppy at Christmas, however cute and doe-eyed they are. However I'm jolly glad other people don't feel the same way for I love being in the company of other people's pets.  I'm like that annoying person who coos over your baby and then disappears when they start crying or when that distinctive smell fills the air which means nappy changing is in order.

Stress relieving therapy for myself involves daily exercise. So I arranged a hearty dog walk yesterday with Mr Metrosexual to Berry Head, a local beauty spot.  There's a beautiful cafe there, The Guardhouse, within the grounds of a fort. It's got to be one of the most canine friendly establishments that I've ever been too.  Now Mr Metrosexual, a retired mental health nurse, was having none of my current nonsense. 'Don't come too early'.  I begged, thinking of my cosy bed where I'm  prone to linger for the morning if I can possibly get away with it. A girl needs to catch up on her beauty sleep and after all aren't I supposed to be sick?   'I'll be round at 11.' he replied assertively. 'Can't you make it 11-ish?'  I begged.  My doorbell rang at 10:50.

He arrived with Baxter, his own dog, one of my four legged best mates.  Surprise, surprise there was this one as well.   Alfie belongs to Mr Metrosexual's mum.  'There you go,' he said passing me the suitably appropriate tartan lead.  'This is your one'. Cute!  Staff at the cafe thought so too.  Alfie got plenty of fuss and free dog biscuits.  In fact he felt so welcome that, after I'd let him off the lead for some free range exercise outside, he snuck back and sat outside the door trying to gain readmission by himself. He was great company and there wasn'teven any of that nasty responsibility stuff that comes with pet ownership. No nasty scooping to do.  He'd had a poo before he arrived!

13 comments:

  1. what a cutie he is. We are in discussion re acquiring a dog as we speak. I am under no illusions about what this means having had a huge short haired German pointer for 12 years. We sadly lost him last year. However we have huge travel plans for next year so it won't be for a while but maybe after that. I do miss having a dig around but I will not be having one so big lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about them being a tie. We are going to London next month, just for the day, and a show in the evening, but it is quite difficult organising the dog care.
    I do however prefer to have the dog 24/7 to enjoy and walk with , and always manage to sort something out for him when we need to be away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pets are definitely a bind, but I wouldn't be without them. Was it bracing up there on Berry Head? I always used to worry about our previous dog chasing a gull over the edge - it's been known! Lovely spot up there though especially on a clear day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are definitely a commitment and a responsibility. A decision not to be taken lightly. It's a dogs face that gets me every time, I just melt, aaaahhh, isn't he lovely. Although I am tied at the moment, I knew I did the right thing in giving pooch a home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The perfect dog - cute and pre-pooed.
    We've often talked about the idea of rent-a-dogs here, and wished such a service were available.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pup is a lot of work and caring, and lately more difficult with each change in household member coming and going. I love my four legged baby to death, but he makes being impulsive challenging. I like ot borrow babies as well-but not getting sucked in with cooing eyes ever again. Well, maybe if and when a grand child appears.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a cat because they pretty much take care of themselves and when we go on longer trips she has an Uncle who comes in to tend here. Like dogs, in theory, but I'm not getting out of bed to walk anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't want the responsibility of the life of another creature, I would be bound to get it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We don'thave pets because they'd be an added starin on the budget. We do get to kitty-sit though as our grand-kitty comes for holidays with us. Last year he was here for 4 weeks while his Mum and Dad toured Europe, this year it's just for a week , but next year will be another 4 week stint as his ' parents' tour California.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love my huge black rescue cat Humphrey. Am very fond of dogs too but don't want the commitment.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  11. The actual animal-assisted therapy involved a 45 minute session once per week. Activities included getting to know your pet and its handler, grooming, cleansing, basic obedience, and agility. It happened in the garden when the elements was nice, and in an area inside when it was moist. As well as individual sessions using the animal and handler, there were group sessions with others getting involved in the program.

    ReplyDelete