Monday, 21 March 2016

Rather A Lot of Ham

Apart from when I'm  in charity shops and that yellow sticker region of  the chilly aisles in the supermarket I rarely make impulse purchases. But temptation overcame me in Lidly Didl the other day. Perhaps memories from the wonderful tapas bars and bodegas encountered on my recent Andalusian odyssey came into play as I walked out of the shop with the butter that I'd planned to buy and a whole leg of Serrano ham in a suitcase-like box that certainly wasn't on the shopping list.  6.5kg of the stuff,  an awful lot of meat for a household of two people.  I've  been meaning to try eating vegan food for a week.  It looks like that one's on hold for a little while.

It soon occurred to me when I got the ham home that I didn't know how the devil I was going to store it. My kitchen isn't awash with handy nooks and crannies, certainly none that could accommodate the whole leg of a white pig. Sure it came with a jaunty cord so that I could hang it from a hook but I haven't got one of those.  Even if I had one I'm not sure that I would have used it. Abattoir chic isn't quite the look I'm after in my open plan living space and I do have vegetarian friends whose sensitivities I have to be aware of.

A little recce through some online forums convinced me that what I needed was a ham holder. Blimey I didn't even know such a thing existed.  That big chunk of meat wasn't quite such a bargain once that had been factored into the equation. It arrived yesterday, in IKEA-like flatpack form but with no instructions. So I guessed from the illustration on the box how it might be put together and this is the end result.  It gets covered with a tea towel when not being nibbled.  If you know us personally and are carnivorous please pop round and help  eat it! You'd be particularly welcome if bring something to wash it down with or if you're a dab hand with a carving knife.  I'm sure thin slices are in order rather than the chunks I've been hacking off!

14 comments:

  1. That ham is a thing of beauty and if I lived closer I would defo be round with a lovely bottle of something. May have to take a trip to lidl too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Well apart from the fact that it's a bit of a faff to store and takes up space, that looks amazing!
    If it's any comfort I am on a Facebook group for Catalan expats in the UK and the Lidl hams have been discussed on there and are very well thought of! Lol. And yes spaniards abroad discuss ham and oil. What can I say? :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lidl olive oil is good enough for using to dip bread too. Happy days! x

      Delete
  3. Please can you move a bit closer to Hertfordshire and I will be round ( with a bottle). I love ham , but have never bought that much in one go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Passing through Hertfordshire on the M25 in a week or so on the way to Southend. I could bring it with me! In fact put it in the back of the car. My dad loves a good meat product. x

      Delete
    2. Come and see me for a cuppa on your way. We are in Harpenden…..up the M1 from M25 and then right a bit! ( About 20/25 mins from M25)

      Delete
    3. Not sure that it will work this time around as we are travelling at strange times of the day. Will work in a detour soon when I am in the area. xx

      Delete
  4. Much more appealing than the over-processed and additive-filled things that are called ham in our stores here. You may have started a whole new trend of meat as an objet d'art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well worth buying! If only Iived closer to you, I could bring some Pouilly Fumé with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I could pick off that with some great cheese and a nice bottle. Besides grocery shopping when hungry, one should not blog read when hungry because I am slowly munching my way through all the spare things in my desk drawer, wishing they were this delicious ham, instead of the sensible soup I brought for my lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A whole ham always seems like a good idea at the time. The first few days are heaven, the next week or so very pleasing, then it begins to be left a bit. I've bought (and made) a few in my time, and love it, but they do go on a bit. At least yours doesn't look too big.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Bit daunting at the moment. Might when I buy the next one! x

      Delete