Saturday, 9 April 2016

A Bit Late: A Wheelie Happy Birthday to Me

It is with regret that I have decided to retire my trusty steed, the Giant branded hybrid bike. I gave my ex husband a hundred nicker for him well over ten years ago to contribute towards a cycle upgrade.  That's not bad at all.  Even though I've had him serviced quite frequently, in recent times everything seemed to resort to clunky soon afterwards.   Bits and pieces are worn out.  Being stored outside for nigh on two years through living in the motorhome and being shedless hasn't helped.  I reckoned that the cost of spares and repairs would cost as much as a shiny new bike.   I love the sense of freedom and adventure that cycling brings.  It brings out my inner child but it wasn't a pleasure riding a bike that felt unsafe and troublesome.  So as a belated birthday treat to myself, look what I bought!

I  diverted from my usual tactic of buying secondhand to save money and decided to get a new machine. That way I knew that I wouldn't have any pre-existing wear to worry about and settled on this Ridgeback Speed.  It's a brand that I'd owned before in younger adulthood.  It was a bargain, about £100 less than its recommended retail price.  I waited in anticipation yesterday for the delivery.  I fancied a little cycle as soon as I got it.  Yikes!  I  hadn't expected it to come in flatpack form with the poorest set of instructions in Christendom.  For example the advice about setting up the handlebars was to seek guidance from the manufacturer!  Eek!  I thought that I was doing that when looking at the manual.

Actually after an initial panic and a little look at YouTube, everything was pretty straightforward.
Voila a bike!  Isn't she pretty?   Could a new career as a roadie on the Tour de France await me?  In the meantime I'll just get out there and start exploring.    Now there's just the matter of somewhere to store her so that she remains in tip top condition.  There's another story!

9 comments:

  1. I adore my bike. I actually go a little nutty if I cant get out on it. When the physio said I couldnt go out on it last year my moods took a dive. I find if I cant exercise it has a profound effect on my mental well being. We bought my now bike in France. It was the 3rd of the price of the same one in the UK. When you next go to France look for spares.

    Hope you have a lovely time out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of buying one in Decathlon as their own brand bikes have really good reviews but decided that I did not want to wait that long. Will be stripping old bike for some spares too! x

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear lovleygray happy birthday to you. Bike looks fab.I have a bike story which j won't bite you with here lol however I want a brompton soo pretty. I'm impressed you put it together yourself I remember struggling with my kids bikes years ago I'm hopeless with flat pack. Hope you have a lovely birthday weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still not out of the woods yet in terms of it being roadworthy. Maybe my flatpacking assembly skills aren't up to much! x

      Delete
  3. I admire those that can still ride a speed bike for exercise. I'm giving mine to my daughter but looking for a big seat rambler kind of bike for pure pleasure and a twinge of exercise, complete with basket for errands. Enjoy your new bike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah speed is only in the name! It's not a road bike but a hybrid, more the type you're looking for. May be replacing that saddle with one that's much more comfortable, maybe my lovely old green one! x

      Delete
  4. Unfortunately I had to abandon my bike because of a dodgy knee. Are you going to fit panniers to the back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably won't need them unless I go touring. I was thinking more of bungees to secure an existing bag to the back rack. Then I have an Ortlieb handlebar back (fitting to be moved from old bike). That should do for day trips. x

      Delete