Saturday, 2 April 2016

A Few Fishy Feasts

Although I love to cook, eating out is one of life's little pleasures.  It's an expensive old game though and,  as a single mum on a budget, it's something that's saved for a treat these days.  I like to eat food that it's difficult to prepare and  cook at home. Perfectly cooked fish and chips comes into that category.

And it just so happens that we have one of the UK's biggest fishing ports on our doorstep.  Well fancy that!  What good planning for a foodie family.  Our favourite restaurants?  Well it's hard to choose because we're so spoilt for choice. Louis loves Rockfish with its very cool interior and view over the trawler basin.   For me, the much smaller Simply Fish on the harbour just has the edge in terms of value and quality of food. It also has a great view but I haven't done it justice here!

We went to Simply Fish for lunch on Easter Sunday.   The biggest crabs in the world that were about the size of Shrek's head were on offer.  Red Mel and Louis couldn't resist those. I settled for gurnard.  After all I had fish and chips on my mind. The crabs came partially dressed.  A little bit of the hard work of dissecting them had been done in advance but there was still a bit of fun to be had with those crackers.


There was far too much for our tummies to cope with.  That's often the case with eating out.  No fear! We've got in the habit of asking for doggy bags.  It's something the Americans do routinely but us British are more coy about asking to take out leftover food.  We shouldn't be.  After all, we've paid for it and surely it's a compliment to the staff that we don't want to waste their delicious food that they've taken time and effort to prepare. Restaurant food becomes much better value if it can be stretched to provide a couple of extra meals. Here's our crabby takeout.   There were quite a lot of chips as well.

Now Rockfish makes a mean crab roll. The last time Louis had one it hardly touched the sides on the way down!  I concocted our own version at home by mixing the crabmeat served in a soft white bun with a pink cocktail sauce made from mayo, ketchup and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.   Leftover chips are like gold dust in our house.  They can be even better the second time around if shallow fried in a little bit of oil.  They were a fitting accompaniment to our homemade fishy feast.  No doggy ate our leftovers.  They were used to provide a couple of rather wonderful lunches....for humans!

13 comments:

  1. You do live in a fabulous place. I have been once a few years ago and I do remember thinking what a fab place to live you are very lucky. I always ask for a doggy bag but the last time I did it caused a bit of a stir as ten of us had a posh surf and turf of a whole lobster and steak I wanted all the lobster shells for fish stock. It was too good an opportunity to miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be a fish eater but other than a batter fried cod or haddock on a Friday night, I keep away but my guys live it. Seafood is meal of choice goibg out for them. Our US "chips" are usually flimsy and don't reheat well, so they don't often come hone but almost always 1/2 the entre for me and girls is in a to go box and a future lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love cold chip butties for breakfast!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See I don't like them cold. They're too starchy. But if you reheat them in a bit of oil they soften up inside again. x

      Delete
  4. Rather than staying home all the time, I think it's the good cooks who enjoy eating out the most because they appreciate good food. That crab looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love to eat crab! Doggy bags are a way of life, if you don't ask for one the server usually asks if you need one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it all looks lovely and has me hungry! and single mums are the best!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hear hear! Most of us do a pretty amazing job. x

      Delete
  7. You have me drooling, I adore crab.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dream of such things over here. Being very nationalistic, the French do French; other than the very rare Vietnamese. A dedicated fish restaurant would be such luxury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The majority of restaurants in a region serving the same fayre is something that I've noticed about France... and other countries too. In Britain we have an amazing amount of choice when it comes to eating out.

      Delete