Thursday, 14 April 2016

Back to Basics

Very slowly I am getting well.    As an impatient bunny it's been difficult to accept the pace of recovery but I've learnt the hard way that it's something that can't be forced.  Indeed the act of effortful trying  seems to slow the process down by increasing my stress again and getting me in a proper tizzy.   Being back at square one sucks.

So with the help of my therapist I'm working to try to tackle poor sleep and daytime fatigue.  As from yesterday I've gone hardcore with applying sleep hygiene rules.  This means a snack at bedtime.   Result!  I took a little bowl of walnuts upstairs with me last night for their melatonin containing problems.    Well that's not too difficult is it?  The advice to cut all caffeine from midday is a real bummer though and had me scuttling to the supermarket at 8pm last night for decaff  Yorkshire teabags.  They are not the same!!!!!!!!

'Focus on your 'art'' was my homework last week. Well that's alright as well  I thought I'd take my handiwork to my therapy session.  Here's what I took to my 'show and tell'.


Above it my newly completed background for the linocut of hares that I started last year.  The pressure of work meant that I put it to one side.  My attention isn't great so it's taken a time to do.  And that's the beauty of this craft.  You can do a little bit  at a time and then put it to one side easily.  I hope to make some prints from these plates next week.

My therapist was impressed. 'Are you going to sell these?' she asked. One step at a time.  The plan for the moment is just to reinstate creating stuff as an enjoyable pastime.  It's like restoring sleep and energy.  Let's get the basics right first!







14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you're beginning to feel better. That's going to look fab when printed. I've lost all enthusiasm for anything to do with crafting - being ill is beginning to get me down quite a lot - it's been 23 weeks and still no definitive answers :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had any enthusiasm in recent months. It's just been another of those things that I felt that I HAD to do. That needed to change. Hope you're back in action shortly and that you get answers as well. xx

      Delete
  2. Glad you feeling better OMG how talented are you. I'll buy one when they are printed. I think just do your craft work when you feel up to it and not worry when you don't. Eat well and sleep well and do everything else when you feel like it. At least you are consistent with your blogging I find that impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be consistent about something. May have cracked the sleep...a bit! x

      Delete
  3. I was told to eat brazil nuts and almonds- possibly nuts are the answer?? Love the hares - crafting can only ever be done when one feels like it. Otherwise it is work. I do scrapbooking (and used to be a teacher) my friend's daughter thought I should combine the two and teach scrapbooking. I didn't - it is a hobby and I like to keep it that way. Happy crafting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's quite difficult to resist thinking about separating hobbies and income streams. My friend Mr Metrosexual is about the most talented gardener that I've ever come across yet he refuses to contemplate doing it professionally. I think he's right.x

      Delete
  4. I bought de caff teabags because I thought it was caffeine making me fat. ( Absolutely no way was it the cakes, bread and biscuits I was having with my tea ) . They remain in drunk in the killer jar I put them in. Yak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm drinking mine...but under protest. It may be working though. Am replying to your comment in the morning with a proper cup of the caffeinated stuff on hand. Bliss!!!!! xx

      Delete
  5. It is good to hear you feel like you are moving forward. I appreciate how much is on your plate, and still, you are finding=making the time to share your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for kind words. They are appreciated. x

      Delete
  6. I would like a Tinner's Rabbit one pleasexx
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. One will be winging its way to you lovely mate! x

      Delete
  7. I am very impressed with your Hares and look forward to seeing it in print. Goos luck. x

    ReplyDelete