Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Beach More Beautiful

'Go and play!' said my therapist. 'You overthink things.'  I took this on board. After all her advice to cut out caffeine after midday has worked a treat.  So, yesterday evening, to make the most of the glorious weather,  Louis and I, together with an under-inflated football,  headed off to our nearest cove.  I still can't quite believe my luck seven months from moving here.  This place is actually on my doorstep!





We played footie through the park and along the road on route.  Luckily it's closed to traffic at the moment.  Even so the ball nearly came to a sticky end a couple of times down a workman's hole and off a cliff.  Oops!  At the beach Louis chucked rocks around and helped me make Hag Stone Rock.  His little beady eyes are much better at finding those little holey pebbles than mine.

I've mentioned before my penchant for litter picking.   Give it a go  on your own little strolls.  You may well enjoy it. I, for one, find it fun. It also gives me that warm glow of fuzziness that comes from doing right to the world.
 Here's my haul from  last night.  To give you an idea of scale that piece of black netting is about eighteen inches square.  As you can see there was lots of plastic and netting that is harmful to marine fauna.   I like to think that maybe, just maybe I might have saved a life from my endeavours last night.  At the very least I made my favourite beach prettier.  That can't be a bad thing!

8 comments:

  1. We live over the road from National Trust woods and common land, many years ago when my kids were young we went over to walk and play football etc, the place was full of litter tons of it. We went back to the house and grabbed black bags and proceeded to clear it up. A lady living in one of the cottages opposite came out took a pic and said she had been watching us from her window and how impressed she was with my kids. We made the local paper with her write up and pic. Funnily enough I've never seen rubbish like that over there since. I was reading the other day about how much plastic there is in our seas etc something needs to be done but we all need to do our bit so good for you picking up all of that. You do live in a fab place I've only been once but loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that with Louis in woods before and made it fun by taking his plastic 'grabber'! x

      Delete
  2. I would keep some of that litter, for crafting purposes, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of that but I'm trying not to accumulate crafting stuff that I'll never use. In fact I'm currently decluttering in that department in my attempt to simplify life.x

      Delete
  3. You are so right-if we all do our part, the world would be a cleaner place. Of course if those that litter to begin with would stop pigging up the world, all the better. I see pictures like that and I feel guilty about not buying more bulk items with less containers, knowing every nonnatural good I a buy eventually either needs to be recycled or part of landfill, and that bothers me. You do live in a beautiful place, but I wouldn't call it luck.You worked hard, planned, and made sacrifices many people would never be willing to make. Still, being appreciative of what you have in life, and feeling fortunate, is a quality I can relate to and admire in you.I feel that way on a perfect sping, summer, or fall night sitting on my back deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so compllicated isn't it and we certainly are intertwined with this. When I see all that washed up fishing net I know that I'm responsible for this to an extent because I buy fish. x

      Delete
  4. I keep a small bag in my pocket at all times. In theory it's there for mushrooms, but at this time of year it gets filled with other people's rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do if I remember. I didn't have one yesterday. It wouldn't have been big enough anyway. So much litter in a small cove!

      Delete