Friday, 15 April 2016

Blown Away By Glass

Photo: Harvard Museum of National History
Maintaining fine motor control isn't my forte. Come to think of it, some of those less precise gross movements don't work out quite as intended.  I end up knocking and bumping into things way more than 'normal people' do.  Please run away very fast  if I'm in a playful mood and look as if I am going to throw a mock punch.  I'm more likely than not to hit target unintentionally!



Photo:  National Museum of Wales
I've adapted my creative endeavours to allow for my kinesthetic deficits.   Like Phil Hansen I embrace my limitations and work in a way where clumsy execution lends charm and individuality. I'll leave precision to others but  admire them big time  for having a skill set that is so completely different to my own

I came across the work of Leopold and Rudolf Blaschka the other day and couldn't believe that I wasn't looking at photographs of natural specimens.  Click on the links below the photos and prepare to be amazed at their amazing workmanship.   The German father-son duo worked at the end of the 19th century producing incredible biological models of marine and plant life.   They're so accurate that they were highly sought after by academic institutions who wanted visual aids to support their work at a time when preservation techniques were lacking.  After all isn't a glass jellyfish so much nicer than a stinky rotting week old dead one?

3 comments:

  1. They are amazing…..especially the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw their work on Colossal and thought it was amazing. Such clever people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep it was Colossal where I saw it. It's such a good website for providing inspiration.

      Delete