Tuesday, 26 April 2016

Busy Beader

Photo:  Bored Panda
In an effort to devote more hours in pursuit of making stuff, I've been clearing out all the superfluous stuff in my work area.  It means that when creativity strikes I can actually lay my hands on the materials I need before frustration sets in and puts me off the idea altogether. I also have storage for completed prints. Genius? No, just sensible

Today I'm showcasing the work of an American artist called Liza Lou who definitely seemed to have more time on her hands than I do.  For over a five year period she created this kitchen.  At first glance it looks like a painting.  A bit Van Gogh maybe I thought.  But no, it's actually a full sized room and all the surfaces are  meticulously covered with beads, even the crisp packets and the cereal box.

Photo: Bored Panda
This is the work of someone with way more patience than I've got.  Even a small scale project like this would reduce me to a swearing wreck. The air would turn a thick navy shade! There'd be glue everywhere and beads getting lost down my bra!  I will stick to big tiles when I next mosaic. It's a far safer prospect.

Liza Lou didn't stop once she'd made the kitchen. There's a garden as well.   These shots show just how intricate this work is, a mosaic of tiny glass objects.  Look at that weeny bee! I am in awe.

7 comments:

  1. I have just had a look at her other work……stunning! She must have started very young….or been extremely busy for the last 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She must have the patience of a monk and the tiny hands of a four year old. That room is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just one question....why? That kitchen would do my head in !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's art and not a practical living space. You'd end up with beads in your porridge every morning! x

      Delete
  4. Where do certain people get their patience? I would have scrapped the idea after those first few beads in the porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I echo Caz. P! she could have made something useful in that time.

    ReplyDelete