Sunday, 3 April 2016

East of the East End

We are in Southend on Sea resting up and visiting my family.   So what are we up to?  Of course a jaunt down the world's longest pleasure pier is on the agenda.  It's a given that we'll take the train down to the end and then walk back to land.   And, if I can muster up the energy, there might be a day out in the Big Smoke.  It's less than a hour away by rail.

We've already visited the newly housed Beecroft Art Gallery.  The collection used to be in an Edwardian house in Westcliff but is now in the Old Central Library, one of my favourite childhood haunts, for I was, and still am, a bookworm.  'Old' is a bit of a misnomer for it's a building that only dates back to the '70s.  I must feature it in a later post for it's a brilliant example of how finely executed brutalism can work very well indeed.

Currently there's a temporary exhibition highlighting the East London Group, artists who worked in the 1920s and 30s.  This has to be my favourite painting, one by Brynhild Carter.  It depicts a local spot, the beach where I spent most of my summer holidays as a kid.  The bathing huts on wheels were long gone in my era but it's still a recognisable scene.  Ah!  This is my hometown.  It's not the prettiest place in the world but it's jam packed with fond memories.

5 comments:

  1. The sea looks a bit rough for genteel bathing! Enjoy your visit. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was beautiful yesterday x

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for posting about the East London Group; I was aware of them form some time back but I have just signed up to their website which is very interesting. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that website too. It's great. Glad to be of service. x

      Delete
  3. Just replied to your comment. I didn't write 'report this post'
    Help, I'm scared my blog is breaking and I don't know how to save it!!!

    ReplyDelete