Friday, 22 April 2016

Goodbye Mr Nelson




As a child of the '60s whose formative musical years were the '80s I cannot ignore the unexpected passing of Prince Rogers Nelson aka Prince the artist formerly known as Symbol formerly known as Prince.   We were in awe of this guy!    I would have picked  a video of one of his own performances but they are woefully thin on the ground on YouTube.  It would have been a difficult  choice to make if they had been available. Kiss'/'Purple Rain'/'When Doves Cry'/'Little Red Corvette'?  Actually this song might have come out on top.  It captures a kind of heartache that many of us have experienced sometime in our lives so well.

Perhaps it's fitting that I've had to make do with the Sinead O'Connor version for it's certainly the one  that stirs up the most vivid memories.  I can't hear this song without recalling a three month period in my twenties.  We used to return to a friend's house after being kicked out of the pub at closing time.   She'd split up from her boyfriend and as part of the rather long drawn out healing process she insisted on playing this over and over again.  Happy Days!!!!!  

9 comments:

  1. I only just found out about Prince so sad but the passing of Victoria Wood really shook me up. I feel like I grew up listening and laughing with Wood and Walters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been quite the year for hearing about the death of talented people, many of them dying young. I don't recall another quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I think Bowie hit the hardest. x

      Delete
    2. He certainly hit me the hardest.

      Prince almost never impinged upon my consciousness but I understand that he had an effect upon others.

      Victoria Wood was more of a shock than DB.

      Delete
    3. Do you know I wasn't very familiar with Victoria Wood. Some things seem to pass me by. I've never watched huge amounts of TV and if I do it's normally that I'll hone in on a couple of series. I've seen some of her stuff posted in the last few days and can see why she was loved and will be missed. x

      Delete
  3. As I get older, all the deaths of the icons hit hard. They set tones in our lives-parts of my regular life uplifted or enhanced through their talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year so far has been the pits. Victoria Wood's passing really upset me and then Prince. My goodness its too much.

    This song reminds me of my first French exchange at school. this and Strawberry fields forever (candy flip 1990 version)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And it's still only April; what more could there be to come!

    ReplyDelete