Monday, 11 April 2016

Hey Speccy Four Eyes!

Men seldom make passes with girls that wear glasses. Well is that so!  They could well have been making them when I was specless but I was probably too blind to notice.  Think back to the bird with roller skates incident for evidence of how impaired my vision has been for a time.  My mobile phones have been getting bigger too.  Someone quipped that if I continued to compensate for sight loss by buying bigger and bigger devices I'd be carrying around a widescreen TV shortly.

A couple of years ago I bought two pairs of prescription glasses from Tesco that both fell apart PDQ.  I noticed after just a week that I was wandering around the house with just one lens in place in one pair.  I thought I'd get profuse apologies when I went back to the store but no. I was told that they'd have to ascertain if it was my fault that they'd broken.  They were, in fact, mended free of charge but promptly came to pieces again.  It was at a time in my life when things were stressful and I had so much on my plate that I gave up.  All that expense for nothing.  But I vowed that, in my tiny way, I'd get my own back on Tesco.  I think I've only shopped in one of their stores once since then.  A bit more payback was the order  of the day when I took advantage of their free eye test without having any intention of buying specs from them again.  I have to say though that the ophthalmologist in their Ivybridge store was lovely.  Let's not tar everyone with the same brush and give credit where it's due.

I've  been making do with shop bought reading glasses for a while now but they weren't ideal.  The latest results confirmed this and it's been recommended that I should be wearing varifocals most of the time.  Apart from when I'm feeling particularly vain that is.  Then I'll go back to being all squinty and mole-like.

Now spectacle buying is a thrifty girl's nightmare.  Those 2 for 1 deals on frames look enticing but once you've added in all the extra bits and pieces what looked initially like a bargain ceases to be so.  I toyed with the idea of one of the online providers but hit a snag.  I didn't have a vital measurement needed for the prescription and the Tesco helpline told me to use their online tool to measure my pupillary distance. GlassesDirect, quite reasonably, refused to accept a measurement that I'd taken myself and refunded my order.  To be honest I really wanted to choose glasses from an instore selection.  Sometimes e-commerce doesn't cut the mustard.

In the end I took my prescription to Asda.  I have to say that I was slightly wary of using another supermarket optician but their deals were really good.  They display the price for the entire pair of glasses, including scratch resistant and anti-reflective coatings, tints if you want them and yes, varifocal lenses.  There's normally a big add-on cost for those.  The downside is that the nearest store with the service was in Taunton is a 100 mile round trip from home but the savings warranted it.   The staff were attentive and lovely too and took real care with the measurements that they needed.   I chose these two frames from the midprice range for £99 for the two pairs.  The funkier ones at the top  from the Andie MacDowell range that have cream arms are my favourites. I'll be wearing these regularly.   My second pair, with their bigger lenses and thinner frames were chosen with crafting in mind.  And in the unlikely event that someone now makes a pass, at least I'll be able to spot them doing it!

19 comments:

  1. I like the top pair best. My eye paraphernalia is a bit of s long standing joke in our house. I have been short sighted for as far back as I can remember starting with those horrid NHS glasses which strangely I now have quite an affection for. These days I wear contact lenses when I go out anywhere nice or my glasses when driving etc this means I need reading glasses over the contacts plus I have two pairs of prescription sunnies which I need when travelling lol it's s nightmare and expensive but I really cannot see. I need new glasses now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't gone down the prescription sunglasses route yet. Maybe that's a thing to come! x

      Delete
  2. I think spectacles have come a long way now. I, too, have had to return to wearing glasses for close up work. I now have a bright red pair with teeny diamante sparkles on the arms.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both pairs suit you so enjoy being able to see with both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have to say that my world is rather less blurry! x

      Delete
  4. I would put money on someone making a pass!
    when I needed I managed to get a vintage pair - and the lenses put in at Spitlefields market. really good deal but I was scared - they ended up being perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the idea of vintage but couldn't be patient enough to wait until I'd found frames that I like. Glad it worked out for you! x

      Delete
  5. OOO One more thing - I want to make you a dress! inbox me. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting!!! I'll do that later. xx

      Delete
  6. I think the top pair are the best too. As soon as I started reading, I thought....Asda. We both have had glasses from Asda 3 or 4 times and have both worn mainly one pair continuously for 2+ years and they all lasted well. We once went to Specsavers; over £300 for 2 pairs each, mine being varifocals, and that was with NHS vouchers! We went back to Asda and paid about £100 for the lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happier with Asda than I ever thought I'd be. Those top ones are my faves too. x

      Delete
  7. You look beautiful in both pars X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pars is my posh way of saying pairs !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for kind wishes posh bird.x

      Delete
  9. I wear glasses for driving and watching the cinema as I am short sighted. I like how the second pair make your eyebrows look really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having to be more careful with eyebrow plucking. The magnification shows the bits I've missed nicely! x

      Delete
  10. Lovely grey, you are really pretty, don,t understand why you have gone down the route of grey , skinhead look. Do you dislike hair?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hair....on other people! Many reasons for my own's shortness, ease of care, feeling of lightness but most importantly personal preference. It do let it get longer sometimes but have only just cut it and love its velvetty feel. I quite like countering the androgyny with being feminine in dress sense. I haven't worn trousers or jeans for years now. x

      Delete