Monday, 18 April 2016

Obscure '80s Indie



I've got my nose in a book at the moment, Juno and Juliet by Julian Gough.  Lord knows where it came from. Probably that shelf in reception at work where books are sold to raise funds.  Maybe with an increased effort the entire NHS could be funded from secondhand trading.  Dave, George and Jeremy would like that I expect.

Anyway let's get back on track.  I'm enjoying my read.  It's a well written, funny account of undergraduate life set around the time of my own university days.  One of the participants in an English tutorial was described as wearing a 'Fatima Mansions' T-shirt.  As I'd never heard of them I went off on a little internet trawl to educate myself and found this zany Irish indie rock band named after a block of flats in Dublin. They sadly disbanded in the '90s. 

2 comments:

  1. That sure had the 80'2 sound. A little Tears for Fears, a little Simple Minds maybe? I would have probably been listening to it, but don't remember them at all.

    ReplyDelete