Monday, 4 April 2016

Politically Incorrect Postcard


During my childhood no self-respecting kiosk on Southend seafront would be complete without a rack or two of saucy postcards next to all those sticks of rocks.   I went in hunt of one to send a friend  who hasn't shaken off their Carry On sense of humour and found that they're surprisingly hard to come by these days.   It looks like all that equality and diversity training and digital technology have taken their toll.


Finally I was successful.  One of the little shops had a small selection of rather moth eaten stock tucked away on a teeny stand.  I reckon  that, back in the 1960s, someone, tempted by a bulk ordering discount,  had overestimated stock requirements and, fifty years on,  they were still trying to get rid of them. The one with folk outside a butcher's shop making innuendos about breast and rump was quite expected.  No surprises there.  This one shocked though.   Wrong on all sorts of different levels, it's the white lips that disturb me the most.  It seems to harp back to a time when blackface makeup was still an acceptable way to represent black people.  A bit of social history but I was astonished to find it was still on sale today.

8 comments:

  1. Shocking indeed. I read a blog a few years ago in which someone who lived in France had gone to the nativity play at the local church. I was horrified to see that one of the children had been ' blacked up' to play one of the kings. What was equally shocking was that the blogger concerned passed no comment on it whatsoever so presumably saw nothing wrong with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall owning a gollywog, not allowed nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my less than politically correct and naive friends wanted to buy one for a child a couple of years ago and asked in a toyshop in Totnes of all places. They were surprised at the horror that their request invoked!

      Delete
  3. Toffee apple,
    Guess we all did.
    And collected stickers from Robertsons jam.
    Times change, to us as kids was just a dolly, no more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had quite a lot of the ceramic gollies from Robertsons. A whole band of them!

      Delete
  4. I can remember watching The Black and White Minstrel Show on TV, and never thought anything of it. It was only later that I was told it was RACIST. Naughty me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most of us watched it in the olden days without a blink of an eye.

      Delete