Tuesday, 19 April 2016

Fast and Veggie

Before I became pregnant I was pescatarian.  It always seemed to beggar the question 'What did the fish do wrong over and above the other animals?'  When I had Louis his father wanted him to eat meat so I reverted to an omnivorous diet.  By the early 2000s it had become easier to make ethical choices about buying meat.  And perhaps my heart was never in it.  I love a perfectly cooked steak, dried French sausages, lamb stew and my mum's chicken, bacon and mushroom pie.

I still savour a plate of veggie food though and, will choose innovative neat-free options if we eat out.  I cook it for myself too when I don't have Louis with me.  A big bowl of warming dal is my favourite although sometimes I'll ruin it for the vegetarians and serve it with a sausage on top.  Don't even go there and suggest I could substitute a quorn or soy protein one.  They're really not the same beastie.

Now Louis is a carnivore extraordinaire, out of the same mould as his 'meat and two veg' loving grandad. Although he eats a variety of food he's not keen on hot or spicy numbers and quite a lot of vegetables that I adore are off piste too.  Aubergines are one of them.  Probably too slimy but I want to introduce them regularly into my diet big time since I had a serving cooked in teriyaki sauce in a Chinese restaurant.  They are lush and easy to do at home, particularly as Lidl had ready made teriyaki in their special's aisle.  The sachet was enough for two greedy servings.  Easy peasiness itself.  For each portion I fry a sliced aubergine in rapeseed oil and just heat it through in the pan with the sauce.  It's all the yummier for being simple.

A few days ago I came across an easy recipe for Macho Peas that come semi mashed and mixed with parsley, mint and chilli.  Apparently it's a Nandos staple but I've never eaten there.  Not sure that it's an omission that I need to be rectifying.    Here was tea/supper/dinner last night, an aubergine pea combo served with a breaded Camembert.   Japan meets Portugal meets France!   Louis wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole.  However the peas needed cooking first.  I just separated off his portion and served them with an all steak Pukka pie for my small hunter-gatherer.  It's one of his favourites.  Both of us were very happy bunnies indeed!

13 comments:

  1. I'm with Louis on this one - aubergine's look beautiful but that's all! I too often choose the veggie option when eating out! But I think there are certain micronutrients that we get from meat that we cannot get through veggie fare alone! Plus we have pointy teeth. For eating woolly mammoths and sabre toothed tigers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm Sabre toothed tiger burger. Must try some time! xx

      Delete
  2. I spent my teens/twentys not eating meat or fish then met a boy and to be honest it was just too much trouble. Got married had kids spent another ten years vegetarian then reverted back to small amounts of meat. I love a good steak and I love lamb but we try to have only two meat meals a week less if we can and I only buy organic meat if I'm having it. I love aubergine too and your way of cooking sounds good I'll give it a go. To be honest I struggle between loving cooking and food and my desire to only buy organic produce lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds a bit like my veggie journey. I admire vegans hugely but I'm too much of a foodie to deny myself the diversity of food that I have because I eat meat, fish, dairy and honey. x

      Delete
  3. With one vegetarian daughter, husband with hypertension, and just general well being-financial and health, I too am trying to have more vegetarian main meals. I love aubergines, eggplants to us yanks, lightly breaded and fried for a burger or as the bulk in a pasta sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those ways of cooking aubergines too! x

      Delete
  4. Never liked peas that much. We're having aubergine "meat" balls tonight with pasta & tomato sauce. Miam-miam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now an aubergine meatball sounds right up my street! x

      Delete
  5. I am confused by this - "I could substitute a quote or soy protein".

    I eat meat but only as 'cold cuts' I cannot cope with big lumps of meat and my preferred protein is fish and shell fish. This last week I have eaten only vegetables and bread with butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks great proofreader. I think it reads more clearly now. I meant 'Quorn'. x

      Delete
  6. We east veggie at least three times a week. I was talking to someone last night who told me that Iguanas start life as meat eaters, then become veggie when the get to a certain age. I think we humans are similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be wonderful if Louis could get to that certain age - pronto! It would make life so much easier. x

      Delete