Wednesday, 4 May 2016

A Bit Pooped

Even though I've returned to work my journey back to full health still isn't complete.  I've found to my cost, that if I don't take things gently I'm still knocked  very hard indeed. Thankfully I've bounced back on each occasion but there are definitely lessons to be learnt.  How to adopt a slower pace of life and still achieve everything that I need and want to do seems the biggie. I'm scratching my head about where to move the goalposts so that my life in future is more healthful and self sustaining.  Geez!, as a senior mental health worker I'm supposed to be expert in this.  I realise that  I'm really just a novice when I work on myself.  Perhaps few of us professionals will gain true insight into the range of struggles within the human psyche.

It turns out therapy is enormously hard.  No pat on the back and a 'there, there, it will be all right'.  I know that the anti-depressant route, where emotions are reigned in chemically, would have brought comfort rather more quickly. But perhaps many of us are  too willing to reach for pills and succumb to numbness .  Isn't it better to learn to experience the gamut of emotions that are thrown at us, to acknowledge hurt, pain and fear? Aren't they telling us something?

And so I've found that psychotherapy is hard.  A can of worms has been opened.  I feel ragged after sessions. But I'm hoping that it'll pay dividends.  No pain no gain they say.  Let's see.



4 comments:

  1. After completing three years of psychotherapy training and having to endure weekly sessions at considerable cost as part of that training along with expensive monthly supervision I do not have anything positive to say about the process. However, I do recognise its usefulness for some and I do agree mostly with your feelings re medication although again this too has its place. I hope you find your therapy helpful though as its all down to individual needs in the end isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy My presumptions around this modality were pretty similar to yours but have to say that, to my surprise, it's helping me to acknowledge stiff that I've been trying to bury under the carpet for years. I have practical things to do as well which are difficult but should be transformatory in their own right. It is expensive though and I will be weighing up the costs vs benefits on an ongoing basis. xx

      Delete
  2. My ignorance of the process of therapy is boundless, but it does seem to me that the route you're embarking on is the most sensible, although the most difficult. Learning about your issues and how to deal with them would appear to more long-lasting than popping a pill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if, in lots of ways, modern life encourages us to take the easier path that is ultimately to our deteriment. Have not a clue what I mean here! It just came to me. Will have to do some pondering!!!! x

      Delete