Tuesday, 24 May 2016

Beyond The Ikea Flatpack

'How easy is it to build a shed?'  I pondered aloud on Facebook back in November.  Some of my more intrepid gung-ho girlies urged me to give it a go and so I went ahead and bought the most scary flatpack of my life. 'Gulp!' I thought after  I'd finally seen off the delivery lorry  that circled the narrow lanes of Brixham for about an hour and a half.   An inspection of my newly acquired booty had revealed that there were no pre-drilled holes as  in the style of Billy Bookcase.   I reckoned that  I'd bitten off more than I could chew.

About a month ago I plucked up the courage to start building. With the help of a faithful thirteen year old the shed slowly took shape under the cloud of air turned blue because of all that swearing that went on. Surely potty mouthed expletives should be included in the instructions. 'Sh*t!' as a roof panel comes sliding back to earth and of course the obligatory F**k!, f**k, f**k! when  a finger gets hit.  I am bringing the fish wife back to Brixham!   In spite, or maybe because of all that cussing, the basics got done and I was quite pleased with my handiwork. There was a bit of a gap on the roof apex that couldn't quite be closed up but isn't that what roofing felt is for?
There were just the fiddly bits left: a window, yes, the roofing felt and a big bolt to put on the door.  I bought that as an extra.  A robber would have clapped his hands with glee if he'd seen the flimsy one supplied by the shed company.  I was thinking that I might have to aim for a higgledy piggledy look for the overall structure.  You know what I mean.  It's like when someone builds something badly in a cartoon and it comes out all lop sized and covered in plasters.

Thank goodness for my dear friend Corn Pipe.  He took one look at my attempt at glazing, shook his head and assertively took over the end stage of the project. He  even managed the rather clever bodge that was needed for the bolt.    For the price of a couple of beers I thankfully have a half decent shed and whoopee!  My understairs cupboard is neat and tidy now there's a new home for skate and body boarding paraphernalia.  There's no longer a bag of soil to trip over near the washing machine and my bike has been relegated from being a 'feature' in my kitchen.   What a difference that extra 7'x5' of space has made!

16 comments:

  1. Well done you and Louis... It still looks rather empty though. I can only just get through the door of my potting shed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's staying minimalist. I'm making sure of that! x

      Delete
  2. Nice shed. When are you going to paint it ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking that it needed a bit of a beach hut theme.....! xx

      Delete
  3. Well done that woman! Not forgetting Louis, an education in following instructions a bit of improvisation and a few sweary words thrown in for good measure.
    All construction in our house from big to small comes with lots of sweary words and no job is complete without blood, be it a cut to full on A&E assistance.
    Now all you have to do is fill it to bursting then stand back and admire your new glory hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why does everyone want to fill up sheds!! xx

      Delete
    2. Well in my family it's almost compulsory!

      Delete
  4. Nice, tidy looking shed that you and son have assembled together, swearing is acceptable when thumbs are hurt. To my mind the trouble with sheds is they have a keen hunger for stuff to be put in them. I know: for we have just emptied our end of the garden one 20ft x12 of a twenty-five years accumulation of stuff that might prove useful.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a keeper of stuff that might prove useful. It has some disadvantages but means that I can fit in my living accommodation with ease! x

      Delete
  5. Well done. I've been considering a shed for my veg garden, but the thought of having to assemble the wretched thing by myself means that I remain shed-less.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blimming heck, I admire your audacity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audacity is something that I truly strive for!! xx

      Delete
  7. I used to have similar features in my dining room! Thank goodness for sheds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving your use of the word 'features' mate! XX

      Delete