Thursday, 12 May 2016

Daily Slap

Here's a recent photo taken on the day when I tidied my beach.  The not so observant will notice that I've cropped Louis out.  He is a scruffy little urchin so he's gone. Boom!  But the really beady eyed among you might notice a teeny difference.  I've caved into peer pressure and now  regularly wear a hint of make up.

Every so often my friends have a play with my face, like they did on my Andalusian adventure and they tell me how much prettier I look, that I'm worth it..... blah blah blah.  Going make up free  took on  protest status.  I believed that I was declaring the need for  authenticity in a wider sense through how I portrayed myself to the outside world.  There was also something about being valued for something deeper than self appearance  So what's changed?

Well firstly someone told me that I would look ten years younger if I did something with my eyebrows.  'I'll have some of that!' I thought. After all I'm as vain as the next girlie  I'd been noticing some greying patches so they get covered up now.  But maybe what finally swayed me was a realisation that others were interpreting my slap free stance as being associated with low self esteem. Feck, I don't want that!

So now my daily regime includes a bit of warpaint around the eye area. There's mascara and a hint of lip gloss. No more.  Applying that lot takes long enough and sourcing it is a bit of a pfaff as well. Finding the right shades to go with grey hair is slightly tricky.   And of course it's a given that it has to be cruelty-free but that's more complicated than you'd think that it would ever be.  Some companies don't test on animals in the Western World but it's a legal requirement if they want to trade in China.  It isn't clear cut.  This exercise is also making me consider again the ethics around other stuff that I buy: toiletries, cleaning products, perfume.  That's got to be a good thing.  Perhaps I'll feedback the changes that I make in later posts.

8 comments:

  1. Your skin looks good, especially if as you say ,it is make up free. I don't go further than the dustbin without my " face" on ! I only use a tinted moisturiser, grey soft kohl pencil on my lower eyelids and black mascara on the top lashes, and a swipe of pale shiny lipstick that soon wears off. (Takes me about a minute to do ) The reasons for women going make up free must be various, and I often wonder why certain people do. I know I look and feel much better with a bit of slap on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am slap free, I know I should make an effort, but.......can't be bothered. You have nice skin, I am saggy round the mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Takes me a couple of mins to do my face I like bright red/ coral lipstick and I always do my eyebrows. If my hair was your colour I would stop getting my colour done but at the mo it's too random, white at the front grey going through the top and auburn at the back so I'll keep colouring until it's the same all over. You have good skin and fab hair but a little enhancement never does any harm lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how my face looks with a little mascara, blush, and lip glosd but I'm slways rscing out the house so rare-not self esteem either just rush. You have porcelin skin-s pop of eye makeup highlightd your already good features.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So long as you are in the driving seat then go girl! Whatever you feel makes you happy. I wear a bit too and bright red lippy when the mood takes me but it's always my decision. Superdrug do cruelty free makeup I understand. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Supadrug is where I got my first batch to experiment with. I've just bought eyebrow powder from Tropics. It's a light shade that tones better with my hair. Will be in the market for brown mascara too soon. Black is a bit too harsh. x

      Delete
  6. I wear make up everyday for work. Not on the weekends unless we leave the house. Blusher is a must for me, eye liner and lipstick. a mac red one called Ruby Woo. if I dont wear it now people dont know what is wrong with my face when they see me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that there was something wrong with my face when I didn't wear make up when I was younger. I don't want to get to that stage this time. Instead I want to be happy with both personas! x

      Delete