Wednesday, 25 May 2016

Hot Water and Air




We're away on our travels next week so I'm a bit bursty with excitement.  What I love about our holidays is their capacity to enrich time across all dimensions.  There's  the planning beforehand,  creating magical memories whilst away and then withdrawing them at a future date for a bit of quality reminiscing.

I've been thinking about  last year's Trans-Atlantic trip a lot lately.  In particular musing on those geyser eruptions  has an extra-special capacity to warm the coolest cockles of my heart.  One day in retirement I may well be flipping burgers for a few months in Yellowstone just to get a proper thermal fix.  So, in thirty years time,  if you see a old granny  at the Old Faithful Geyser Basin excitedly wielding a spatula  as Beehive is about to erupt it'll probably be me!

This video that I've just discovered takes me back to another time during our trip where we visited Chihuly Gardens and Glass in Seattle.  Man-made rather than natural wonders but nonetheless amazing.  I am completely bowled over by these super skillful craftsmen.  Though tempted to create my own glassy forms I think I'll pass.  Clumsy lady, hot molten glass; What could possibly go wrong?

7 comments:

  1. I think planning and the remembering half the fun. While you may be flipping burgers I may be pouring tea to get back to your part of world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to make sure that our respective visits across the pond don't coincide. You'd be very welcome here. xx

      Delete
  2. We thought Yellowstone was pretty spectacular too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel a real affinity for the place. Maybe I was a bison in a past life?!!!!! x

      Delete
  3. So many fabulous places to visit Yellowstone is on my list for next year when we do our bigger trip all dependent on the travel fund. I'm in Athens at the mo it's a first for me. The Acropolis is pretty awesome even though a lot of it is covered in scaffolding. I love ancient ruins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have never been to mainland Greece but on the wish list. But Yellowstone....now if I had to stay in one place on Earth forever it would be there. xx

      Delete
  4. Hope you're having a fab time. We're just back from a Springsteen concert followed by 3 nights camping in Yorkshire. It's recharged the batteries nicely - hope your trip away does the same for you. x

    ReplyDelete