Monday, 9 May 2016

So Bad It's Good

If I showed you everything that I bought in charity shops my blog would become niche and possibly a bit more popular than it is now.  And we don't want that do we?  Let's keep it secret squirrel and select!

But back in, let's say for argument, 2013 I popped out at lunchtime to buy a prawn sandwich at the Coop and came back via the RSPCA shop in Totnes with this.   A fiver jolly well spent.  Mr Metrosexual was scathing.  'What the f****ck!' My psychologist friend, Dr Betty, was rather more diplomatic. 'Isn't it so lovely that we all have such different tastes?' she announced. So what drew me to it?  Well, I think it was the weird baobab trees, its retro feel and the colour palette.  Call me shallow but I thought that it would look good in my bedroom.

It hangs to the left of my bed.  Occasionally I have a good giggle at the bloke who manages to hold, one handed, that fishing rod  that's thicker and longer than his own arms.   None of that 'Old Man and the Sea' struggle here.   Just look at how nonchalantly he's bringing in that huge catch.  What super powers does he have?

Lately there has been no time to stop and stare at my pictures.  They've melded into the background ... and the detritus of life has taken precedence. But now, I've seen this painting with new eyes.  My friend Corn Pipe is mesmerized.  He's stared at it for hours.  More expletives but this time transfixed with jaw-dropped starry eyed wonder, and not abject disgust at the poor artistry.

At first sight Corn Pipe reckoned that this looks like the visual equivalent of muzak ... but, he says, not when you take a closer look. [Struggle for laptop ensues] "What the hell is happening? What was this artist on?" I mean, where's the perspective ... and, indeed, the horizon? And why the brazen mismatch between the land and the reflections in the water. Also, just look at that boat!! What's this dark thingy with the white stuff all around in front of the central hut? And, of course, who could miss, for long at least, that creepy gangly man at the top. I mean, what's he got between his legs? And what's with the axe on that spectral psycho's shoulder?

Some parts of this post may have been hijacked by Corn Pipe. He's rather more prone to flowery language than me.  But his enthusiasm and laughter has been infectious.  What do you think? Inspired genius or a hilariously complex amateur accident?

9 comments:

  1. Of its ilk; it's classic. These things are turned out by the thousand in little back-room workshops in China. Personally I would suggest never to buy a 'painting' where a sponge has been used to paint foliage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks for handy art tip. I know what you mean re: origin but I think that this might have been painted outside the Far East. There's a signature (? Eastern European). Also it's smaller than those massed produced jobbies tend to be. Like to think it's the product of a Totnesian garret. Hope the artist wasn't starving though! x

      Delete
  2. Since I can't paint, I think it's pretty good. I like the dead trees.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no artistic knowledge but I think it's charming. At first glance it has a Japanese feel to it but then the huts and the two guys on the island look African I think. I like it, not sure I'd have paid a fiver for it tho lol. I love reading your blog but in my opinion if you wanted to make it more popular you would have to include numerous pics of yourself in various different outfits posing in your garden showing off all your quirky vintage finds. Your blog is fab as it is and I learn a lot from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweet lady for kind words. Don't think pictures of my garden would pass muster yet. Working on it though! x

      Delete
  4. It is " interesting" . And, by the way, they are not like any baobab trees I have ever seen..!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to say that too!

      Delete
    2. I only thought baobab as the branches look like roots. I am a horticultural numpty! x

      Delete
  5. It's strange how your eye is drawn to things which don't fit what you think your taste is sometimes!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete