Sunday, 29 May 2016

Supermarket Flower

Don't let that angelic look fool you!  With the dawn of adolescence the lad and I have been having some 'conversations'.  Topics include the annoyance of constant backchat, the pointlessness of excessive screen time and how mightily pissed off I am when chocolate gets smeared all over bedding in a darkened room.   Nothing serious but tedious nonetheless.

After a longish absence of nearly a year, on account of Transatlantic travels,  we arrived back in France yesterday.  Our first stop is pretty much always Pol de Leon, about five miles down the road from the ferry port.  There we visit  E Leclerc, a branch of the French supermarket that seems like a cross between Sainsburys/Waitrose.   After an evening crossing we'll hole up in their car park until the store opens in the morning.     For within there are treats! We've come away with lush patisserie, vanilla infused Breizh cola, wine,  cured meats and cheese, cornichons, fish soup and accoutrements, ghost shaped crisps and dinosaur biscuits that Louis has loved since he was wee and of course bread.  We skipped on the live langoustines that we both love as we'll get these later in the week nearer the campsite.   At the till I was given a floppy flower in cellophane.  'C'est le Fête des mères demain?'  I asked the checkout lady and received confirmation that  yep, 1) my rusty French can still be understood by the natives and 2) it's Mother's Day this weekend over here.    

In its improvised beer glass vase my rose has perked up nicely.  I'm dead chuffed as I'm a bit of a sucker for fleurs.  To any of my readers out there who may be French mummies, have a great day. Our parenting job is tricky at time but it has the potential to bring some of the greatest rewards.

14 comments:

  1. We used to go overnight to St. Malo, and parked up first thing in a car park in Dinan to eat the picnic breakfast that I had brought along. I was once given a plant at a supermarket checkout, and after some time trying to say that I didn't want to buy it, it wasn't mine, I realised that it was a " present". Not sure why we would have been there in May though..the boys would have been at school. Do they give mothers flowers on other occasions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no idea. My rose is lovely so I'm very pleased about this custom. No fragrance though. xx

      Delete
  2. Louis looks so like you! And yes he does look angelic...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine has managed to get luminous highlighter pen all over his sheet...something connected to revising in bed I think and he's 18 tomorrow! Hope you have a fantastic time in Francexx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm revising. I'm not sure that Louis does much of that. He's seriously laid back, maybe too much so in fact! x

      Delete
  4. Surely that sweet little boy is not guilty of such terrible deeds, You must be making it up ;o) He looks just like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another comment on us looking alike. I have trouble seeing it. Maybe his big blue eyes and paler skin tone send me off the scent. My looks are much more Latino. x

      Delete
  5. Mine manage ink and/or makeup, but we have also had chocolate and a cat with a bleeding paw - bedding ruined :(
    Have shopped in LeClerc at St Pol many a time. Lived in Morlaix for a year - fabulous part of France. Have a lovely time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. May even up sticks and alternate between here and the South of Spain when Lou leaves the nest. x

      Delete
  6. Miss 21 ruined so many bed covers with nail varnish, eyeliner, pen etc The boy not so much....he was an angel compared to her! She claims I was much harder on her than on him. It's true!! She's a better person for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a nice surprise. I got a treat from my daughter as we were in the UK up until the day before British Mothers Day two years ago, even though American Mother's Day was months way. Maybe that is why it is on different days-so mom's can be celebrated internationally as well as domestically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whitsun in France is in the middle of the month this year. It means that my French friends won't be on the campsite. I'm a bit puzzled by it all. xx

      Delete