Monday, 30 May 2016

Swimming with Swallows

My wrist seems to have a similar look to one of my Mad Walls these days.  It regularly sports the turquoise beaded bangle that I bought for the bargain price of a quid in a Brixham charity shop. There's also a sterling sea themed bracelet that I've had for ages and a leather wraparound thing with an interesting clasp that the gorgeous Sugar Plumb gave me.   Previously she'd left it at my house after staying and I fell in love with it.   Imagine my surprise when it was returned to me on my birthday as among the best of presents.

This week I've added the campsite wristband to the medley.  It gives me much valued access to the pools here.  There's load of them inside and out.   My first visit this year started off with a trip down the biggest water flume that resulted in a nose full of frothy water.  That was Louis' idea.

One of the outside pools is really quiet.  I think it must be because it's a little colder than the others but I'm a hardy beastie.  I had it mostly to myself for about an hour this morning and it was bliss.  I absolutely understand why rich peeps want to create their own place to swim.  If I had a lot of wonga I'd have one myself.  There'd be a dimly lit womb-like haven inside with access to an infinity pool outside with a view to die for.   It would be in daily use.   I can only dream.....

I can swim until I'm bored but didn't do that today.  Instead I spent a lot of time floating on my back paying attention to my breathing and a light blue sky with a hazy sun.   I genuinely think that I entered a different brain state.   Who needs mind altering drugs when you can be surrounded by silence in water?   And then there were the swallows.  These amazing birds are back in Western Europe from their winter time jaunt down to Africa.  They dipped into the water around me.  Was it to drink or catch teeny insects?  I'm not sure.  All I know is that they've played a major part in creating a very special memory indeed.

9 comments:

  1. I always wear at least 3 silver bracelets at all times. I add others, but usually when " going out" as I can't be bothered to remove them for showering and they are not so waterproof.
    I have a special memory of sitting by myself beside a lake in " cottage country' in Canada early morning. There was a Loon gliding along in the slight mist on the other side, making a wake in the water and calling with it's eerie cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw an otter under similar circumstances once. It was magical. x

      Delete
  2. It sounds blissful. I insist on hot tub Hoyas now, just for lying in the water at night, looking up at the stars. Heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and Lou love hot tubs. Here's a previous post with us and a very dodgy looking geezer who happens to be one of our bestest mates! http://lovelygreyday.blogspot.fr/2011/01/thought-for-day-hot-tub-love.html

      Delete
  3. When I had my year's gym membership I was very often the only one in the pool in the evenings. They used to turn the lights down when it was about 15 minutes to the pool closing. It was amazing to swim in the dim light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bliss. I love being along in a darkened pool. x

      Delete
  4. I am a very poor swimmer but I love the water. One of the reasons I love where I am at the mo is the bay is so shallow, warm, calm and clear so I can swim and play in the sea I love it. You are much better at blogging away from home than me I've not managed a post yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sometimes a little bit easier to blog whilst away because there's fresh stuff to inspire me. Have a brilliant holiday. xx

      Delete