Saturday, 28 May 2016

The Bath

I love a bath though not in that conventional 'long soak' kind of way.  My bathing is quick but indulgent, wasteful even.  They're deep and bubbly but mostly in-out affairs, about fifteen minutes at a stretch. To assuage guilt I sometimes persuade the boy to hop in after me.  After all I don't spend any time dirtying that water.

Bath tubs took on a metaphorical quality when  I was ill recently.  I thought that I was ever so clever thinking of my stress in terms of water overflowing over the sides onto the bathroom floor but it seems I'm not the first to think of being overwhelmed in these terms.   One of my counsellors spoke in the same way.  It's an image that I'm using now with the people that I work with.  A woman that  I saw yesterday was particularly taken by the idea.  Like me she views herself usually as a resilient soul, able to cope with whatever life flings at her. 'When you've got enough on your plate one more drip could be enough for you not to contain everything anymore.' she said with some excitement in her voice.  It was as if a penny was dropping.

Luckily baths have plugholes.  That stress needs to drain away before our capacity for coping reaches a max.  Its build up can be insidious, over months and years or acute.  I had a humdinger of a day yesterday. Many more of those and I'd be in danger of overflow.   Luckily I'm now in France  for a week of reading,  gentle exercise, chilling with friends and more meditation than I 

6 comments:

  1. Which camp site are you on? We had a lot of holidays with Eurocamp on the Brittany coast when the boys were young. I particularly remember one site on the " pink granite" and there is a walk along the sea with lots of big rocks that all had animal names I think. Enjoy, wherever you are. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one. It's Le Ranolien at Perros Guirec x

      Delete
  2. Showers are OK for cleaning purposes, but a pukka bath with lots of bubbles is pure luxury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - even if mine are rather brief! x

      Delete
  3. I love a bath and being only short means I can lay out full stretch! It has to be deep and it has to be bubbly and like you can be in and out in 15 minutes! Bon Vacences xx

    ReplyDelete