Tuesday, 31 May 2016

To St Jacques' Place

Louis wanted me to show you his brand new baby.  He loves its natty paint job.   Hot on the tails of my own purchase I've  bought my son a new set of wheels, the Rockrider 500 from Decathlon.  For the price it gets pretty good reviews. I wasn't about to splurge out on anything more expensive.  Lou has reached a funny height where the smallest adult bikes, that I thought might suit him, are still too big. We've had to settle on a children's model that may only last a couple of years.  Best put it to good use while we're able then.

 Our old bikes  got a bit knackered when we were living in the motorhome and they lived permanently outside. It did them no good at all.   If I ever go back to a life on the road then cycle storage may be something that I need to think through.

Yesterday we went for an inaugural jaunt together down to the nearby town of Perros Guirec.   It was lovely to be on a bike that didn't clunk and squeak. My old one returned to rickety soon after a service it was so ancient.   Do you know in the five visits that we've made to this area I don't think we've ever explored centre ville properly?  It was something that we put right yesterday.  As Monday seems to be the day that most shops were shut we focused our attention on the beautiful church of St Jacques.  My photo of the outside didn't do it justice but you can see how unusual the architecture is if you follow this link.  Here's my own shot of the war memorial outside.  Always so many men called Louis.  I think my son counted 14 or 16 of his namesakes this time.





What I loved about this place was  the contrast between the beautiful artifacts that it contained and the surprising simplicity of the church's inner structure.  You'd think that it would be all bells and whistle given the majestic exterior.  The stained glass was stunning and from a number of eras.  I particularly loved the modern windows.  They have a watery feel to them which befits the town's seaside location.  Unfortunately I can't sing the praises of the talented individual craftsmen but another website suggests that these were made in 1951 by Hubert de Sainte Marie glassmakers in nearby Quintin.





Here's more of that gorgeous glazing to feast your peepers on!
Photo:  Pierre Andre Leclercq



The light didn't let me do justice to photographing  the complex altarpiece.  Some French bloke has made a much better job of it.  It's like an ornate dolls house where lots of saints live!


And then, if you turn around  and look back to the entrance it's as if you're in a different building.  All the glitz and glamour fades and I was struck by the tranquility and sacredness of the space.  I would have like to have lingered longer but teenagers have itchy feet.  Maybe it's a good spot to come back to.  A destination for one of my lonesome trips maybe? 

4 comments:

  1. I'd give you decent money for the 'ornate doll's house', if it would fit in your luggage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Superb isn't it? I came over all covetous as well!!!x

      Delete
  2. It looks a gorgeous place.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete