Monday, 23 May 2016

Touchy!

When I was about twenty I learned to touch type.  It was my second attempt.   There'd been lessons at school where we tapped away to music with a keyboard covered by a plank of wood.  I didn't get on with that at all. I borrowed a clunky old portable typewriter in a case with a zip.  I think that it was a bit like this one in the picture. I also had a blue book called 'Teach Yourself Touch Typing'.  For night after night I'd tap away at the keys ASDF   ASFD oops!  After about a fortnight  I was sorted.  I was like a demon on that keyboard.  My initial typing speed must have reached something like fifteen words a minute but I was there!

It took a modicum of effort but it's one of the most useful things I've ever done, transferable between careers in finance and healthcare and a bit handy for life outside work as well - like blogging!  I'm amazed  that so many others haven't gone down the same route and equally astounded that this isn't a skill that is universally taught in schools.   So here's a plea.  Free yourself from that onerous two fingered tapping!  Of course today a paperback isn't needed.  There are plenty of online resources.  Here's one that looks like a perfectly acceptable online teaching resource.  

9 comments:

  1. I agree. At school I was told not to bother with typing as I was "academic". I went back and learnt to touch type later as an adult and it has saved me so much time both at work and at home. A valuable skill indeed. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my school if you were rubbish at Maths at 14 you were offered the option to transfer to Office Practice! I changed and we learned to touch type by the teacher playing William Tell and covering the keyboard with a metal frame. I was rubbish at that too! However, as I was a wild child my father rented a typewriter over the Easter vac and said I couldn't go out at night until I learned to type at 30 wpm. Soon mastered that! It served me well as I was able to do temp work during Uni hols and earned some necessary dosh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum taught me touch typing and I nearly managed the full course but neglected to practise the numbers so I have to look for those. Otherwise I'm a whizz with all the letters. My son who works in the computer programming world has a keyboard with no letters, characters or numbers. All the keys are blank. He uses all his fingers but has never learnt touch typing as such. His fingers are a blur when he types.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do numbers as well. My secretary has worn the majority of the keys on her keyboard blank! x

      Delete
  4. I'm a two finger typist, but do manage some quite impressive speeds. My sister attended a very famous secretarial college in Park Lane (London) where she not only learned to type, but also to type whilst directly translating to, or from, French. Beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I once had a go when we first got our computer but I wasn't very good at it at all! I was very jealous of my friend who went to secretarial college and could do shorthand and a billion words a minute. This comment has been touch typed with my one pointy finger on my iPad quite quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see that pointy finger stuff eludes me. And as for texting....! x

      Delete
  6. I also taught myself to touch-type, on an old Imperial typewriter with a sheet of paper sellotaped over the keys. I would practise every evening after work and I am so pleased that I persevered since I type a lot every day and can peer out of my window whilst 'talking' online.

    ReplyDelete