Tuesday, 21 June 2016

Better Than Last Time

I have a dream!  Yep there's one that's in a similar vein to Martin Luther King and hopes for universal equality and justice.  But there's also a few that are more personal. Back in my late twenties I ran a couple of half marathons.  Well, okay I might have done a bit of walking over the last three miles each time.  But I'd really like to enter one again.

As an occupational therapist I'm supposed to be good at goal setting. Just right challenges that stretch a person's capacity without breaking them and causing further physical, mental and emotional meltdown.  Is the idea of crossing a finishing line after thirteen miles a step too far?  I'm not sure if I can turn my dream into a goal.  Injury has stymied my running attempting before.  Perhaps I am permanently past it.

On the positive side I've been quietly stepping up the exercise lately with a bit more running and cycling.  So I thought I'd see if the knee that had surgery a couple of years ago would play ball again. So I'm back to NHS Choices Couch to 5K, a nine week running plan where after nine weeks I might be able to run about three miles.

My last attempt was aborted sometime during week two. But there's progress onto week three this time.  I've downloaded week three and will try running the heady continuous distance of three minutes tomorrow.  Wow!  That's triple the duration of a couple of weeks ago.

So what's my goal? With my hope intact have I revised it to a triathlon?  Let's keep it realistic shall we.  One step at a time.  I just aim each time to complete the next run without injury. 

6 comments:

  1. Have you got a parkrun near you? They are brilliant because you can run, walk or both and you get a time. It's got a great atmosphere and they are held all year round and free!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just had a look and there are some. Saturday at 9 though. May be a struggle to cut short the lie in but I might have a go once I'm up to the 5K mark. xx

      Delete
  2. In a rash moment I once agreed to cycle from London To Brighton with my oldest son. We had had no practice, and it was one of the hottest days of the year. Frankly I'm surprised that we both survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done. I've completed Minehead to Exeter before - fuelled by ale! x

      Delete
  3. I completed Couch to 5k last summer and have barely run since due to ill-health, which I am heartily sick of! J runs 10k several times a week, and does Parkrun on a Saturday. Doing a parkrun was my goal, but at the moment it is a very distant one :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you and Aril have alerted me to them doing a Parkrun could be rather a good goal if I complete all nine weeks. We could do one together when you're better. xx

      Delete