Sunday, 12 June 2016

Better Up Top

On those rare occasions I'm in rush hour London  I like to avoid the commuter trains and the Tube if I can possibly help it.  However with the distances involved in the Big Smoke this isn't always possible. There was a time a couple of years ago when I was on a train at about 8:30 in the morning after visiting friends in Sevenoaks.   We were stopping at another packed station and there were already unfeasible numbers of people in the carriage playing a game of sardines that rendered me on rather more intimate terms with strangers than I am comfortable with.  'Surely no more folks can get on!' I thought to myself but I was completely wrong.   More bodies squeezed in.   As I was in danger of seizing up I turned my head slightly only to brush my lips against a complete strangers upper arm. Ewww!

To avoid unnecessary and  undesirable up close and personal encounters in the future this map that Transport For London have produced might be helpful.  It shows how many minutes it takes to walk between Underground stations.   What a good idea!  If there's time it's so much nicer to be able to see the sights of the capital  and seek out undiscovered treasures in the process rather than rumbling under them on crowded airless tube trains.

9 comments:

  1. That is a good idea. Must try and get one of those maps next time we visit the city. Lashing down with rain here at the moment….dog walk might have to wait a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it stopped raining. I got tipped down on yesterday just before I watched the Red Arrows! x

      Delete
  2. The trams in Manchester can be the same, and it gives people an opportunity to grope others, something KL knows only too well :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eww and double eww! What is it with some people?! xx

      Delete
  3. We just have a few small light rail lines that are underused, but I remember some panic in DC when there on business and not being ahead of the rush. Thankfully, we avoided rush hour in London, but did walk an awful lot above ground-my husband didn't want to miss the architecture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much to see that it's best to be up top. x

      Delete
  4. That's a very useful graphic. I try not to use the tube unnecessarily if it's viable to walk. There's always so much to see which you miss if you're not on foot.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My most recent nightmare was being in Oxford Street, shoulder to shoulder with crowds of people; I couldn't move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep and what made it worse on a recent visit was that I was being shouted at by some zealous bloke assuming that I was a sinner and hell bound. I think that I was already there! x

      Delete