Monday, 20 June 2016

Bob



My musical listening habits can be rather OCD in nature - with heavy emphasis on the 'O'.  That Jake Bugg song that I wrote about recently was a case in point.  Once I'd found it I listened to it repeatedly over and over again.   At any given time a few albums become stalwarts and then I get a bit bored.  I want something new to listen to but how do I source it?

Well live music events have been a source of inspiration but conventional music radio isn't really my bad.  I have to listen to so much stuff there that doesn't really float my boat.  I'll turn to Spotify radio though where I can choose a 'station' based on another artist that I like.  It picks tracks with a similar feel.  Those that don't appeal can be skipped over midway through.  Perfect!

I came across this as part of a Billy Bragg themed selection.  Given my proclivity for balladeers I'm not sure why Bob Dylan hasn't featured more in my repertoire over the years.  Maybe (said the girl who loves Leonard Cohen!) I find him a little morose.  This track is brilliant though.  So upbeat and complex.  I haven't figured out what it's about.  May I won't As Dylan said himself  'It means something different every time I sing it'.  

6 comments:

  1. Hailing from the state of Dylan birth, his music has been a constant my whole life. Great track but like a rolling stone always has a place in my mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another goodie. I also like 'Lay Lady Lay' and 'I Want You'. x

      Delete
  2. The last Dylan album I bought was 'Modern Times'. Of the 10 tracks 9 are good, and 1 is so bad that I'm amazed he allowed it to be included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like that about Leonard Cohen's 'I'm Your Man'. Jazz Police is awful x

      Delete
  3. Do you know Richard Hawley? He's a bit of a balladeer...And Neil Hannon (of The Divine Comedy) Two of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard Richard Hawley on one of my Spotify Radio jaunts yesterday and thought that he maybe one to explore. xx

      Delete