Thursday, 2 June 2016

Bréhat: A Little Bit Cleaner Than When We Arrived

Yesterday I achieved the miraculous feat of getting a teenager up early on a non-school day.  We had an early morning cycle and then a 9am boat to catch to the Island of  Bréhat.  The normal route there is by one of the pleasure crafts from Paimpol.  I understand that they provide brief regular hops from mainland Brittany.  Our boat from Perros Guirec is a much less regular service but is a ninety minute jaunt that makes a seafarer's heart sing.  It wouldn't be recommended for lily livered landlovers who turn green at the mere thought of a bit of swell.  Once there we had a six hour stay.

The plan was 'to do' the whole island on hired bicycles.  We'd had to leave ours locked up at the port.  Instead we found enough to keep us occupied within walking distance from the port for the entire time there, elevenses drinks at a cafe by this gorgeous beach, wandering on the sand, lunch at Le Crech Kerio (deservedly the number 1 island restaurant on Tripadvisor) followed by visits to glassworks and the little town.  Our two wheeled circumnavigation will have to wait for another visit
I  may well have found the retirement home of my dreams perched on rocks next to a gorgeous beach. Since my return to motorhome life I've been coming to terms with the fact that a teeny four wheeled home may well suit me far more than traditional bricks and mortar.  This holiday has made me realise how much I miss living in my van.  It's so much less complicated!   This cottage with its glorious views could possibly keep me happy though.  Look at that lovely fish shaped window! Surely there wouldn't be much upkeep involved with a place so tiny?

We arrived back at the ferry port early, no great hardship as it was a lovely place to sit, looking out at a sea dotted with rocky features.  However the little beach was uncharacteristically litter strewn.  Time for some of my trademark litter picking.

I'll admit now that I felt more than a little self conscious cleaning the beach.  I normally perform this task in deserted landscapes.  This time loads of people were watching me from the shore.   Photographing the rubbish which included various plastic including a big bottle on a rope felt like a step too far on this occasion.  This is why, instead, I'm sharing a picture of a poster that I saw several times around the island.  It gives an idea of how long different bits and bobs take to decompose.

I'm trying  to lead by example even though it sometimes seems hard.  I share this  not to look like a goody-goody but do so in the hope that my actions might have further impact.  Maybe just maybe I can inspire one of yesterday's onlookers or a reader to do something similar next time they come across unsightly litter.  I want to reassure that  the act of cleaning up is not as undignified as carelessly discarding stuff in the first place.

As I dumped my spoils in the nearest rubbish bin an elderly man clapped.  Maybe he agreed with these sentiments.


11 comments:

  1. Good for you on your litter picking exploits. The fish shaped window on the cottage is fab. Continue to enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you're not asking for one, but I'm sending you an electronic pat on the back anyway.
    And sorry, but that tilty cottage looks like the opposite of carefree. I can't help but picture pans on the floor with the next rainstorm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I see your point. It's quite a romanticised idea and one where maintenance wasn't part of the equation. xx

      Delete
  3. I've been known to fill a rubbish bag or two out and about. I always wonder what goes on in someone's head leaving litter behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really encouraged to hear when others do the same. There's a few of us. xx

      Delete
  4. That was wonderful of you and what a great example to Louis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cottage is perfect. I'm a great believer in owning several tiny cottages in perfect positions (rather than one big ostentatious house). That one could join my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll fight you for it!!!!! In an ideal world I'd have this and one in Andulucia for when the weather got chillier in Northern Brittany. Having said that I like the wild woolliness and tranquility of this part of the world in Autumn/Winter. xx

      Delete
  6. Well done, I do the same when I can.

    ReplyDelete