Saturday, 11 June 2016

Down The Queens Arms

I wouldn't know where to start if I were to list all the things that I love about Brixham, the town that I moved to just over a year ago.   Well let's give it a go shall we? Because I'm a water babe, the fact that it's by the seaside has to take top spot.   And this is top notch coastal living  with stunning scenery, gorgeous little bays and a fascinating harbour. Then there's the friendliness of the folk that live here, the fact that it hasn't been boutique-ified up to the hilt and is still a proper working town,  the myriad of interesting places to hang out, shop, eat and listen to music, my kid also loves it  and it's safe for him with good bus links to his school......I could go on and on but I won't.

Except I'll mention just one other great big plus.  There's loads of pubs in Brixham, so many in fact that I haven't discovered all the decent boozers yet.  I think that I'd be hard pressed to find one as brilliant as this though.  It's probably why my pub crawling antics are so half hearted.  The brilliant thing is that The Queens Arms, South Devon's CAMRA pub of the year for 2016, it's just a couple of hundred yards stagger away from my home.  It was the icing on the cake as far as choosing my lovely house was concerned.
First off, I'll ward off anyone who's looking for a foodie type of place. Gastro-pub this ain't.  No slow cooked pig's cheeks in foamy nonsense here although you can get a hot pasty and the snack range is excellent. There's a roast on offer on Sundays and a set dish and a pint on a Monday for a fiver.  To be honest I haven't tried those yet writing this post has reminded me to make a note that I really should. Uber-trendy types who demand designer heaven and a smart dress code might want to stay away too.  As the website says that this is a simple back street boozer.  What sets it apart is the really friendly atmosphere that attracts all sorts of clientele and, of course, the beer Now I'm a real ale aficionado and this place, where there's usually six casks to choose from makes me a very happy bunny indeed!  And of course being Devon there's decent cider on offer too.


Mr Metrosexual popped round all stressed yesterday evening because his house has been turned into a building site on account of  work on his extension.  The pretentious bugger calls it an orangery but it looks like a sun room to me.   My day at work hadn't been a picnic in the park either and, as I'm on a course for some of next week, I was still catching up with notes when he arrived at 7:30.  As such I was easily persuaded  to ditch the paperwork and head out  for a healthful supper of pints and pasties.

Here's Mr Metrosexual enjoying his.  It's a horrible picture but he's wholly deserving of bad publicity.  In spite of the excellent range of beverages on offer he gives me the embarrassment each time of ordering a pint of Carlsberg.  The locals are incredulous and quite rightly take the piss. I'm thinking that a visit two nights in a row might be in order.  It's music night on Saturdays and tomorrow's band look the biz. Corn Pipe is visiting. I wonder if he'd like to come and see them with me. With such good beer to boot I don't think that he's going to take much persuading!

14 comments:

  1. sounds lovely may just take a trip down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time I was in the UK, I was charged about £5 for a pint of bitter. I buy 5 litres of good wine for that type of money. How can anyone afford to go to a pub' these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually this is reasonable. A round comes to about six quid. It'DMS nearly nine at the fancy pants place on the harbour. Not as cheap as French wine for consumption at home. Funny enough I've got some of that at the moment!x

      Delete
  3. Nothing like a good boozer. When we come to England we HATE, HATE, HATE when we accidentally wander into some tarted up Gastro Pub. We always turn around and walk out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst ones are those where they don't let you just come in for a drink. You have to eat. That's a restaurant in my mind and not a boozer! x

      Delete
  4. We didn't do a lot of pubs becasue of having daughter along, but we must have done it right and hit the friendly, come as you are, welcoming ones. We were always quite scraped back as we dressed for lots of walking, and comfort, so when we did pop in, we looked pretty haggered, but still had smiles greet us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you don't have to dress up to go down the pub. That's one of the beauties. x

      Delete
  5. Oh god I want to live by the sea with a harbour and locally caught fish and a good local boozer lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Move here now while it's stil affordable! x

      Delete
  6. Can't beat real ale. I'll come for a pint with you if ever I'm down that way. I wouldn't embarrass you and within' staggering distance too. What a find.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be very welcome to join me for a pint. I'd like that! x

      Delete
  7. Didn't make it to the pub on Saturday. The European Football match called where England did their usual trick and things went tits up at the last minute! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure we watched a to prog about Brixham a couple of years ago n that pub was on it!

    ReplyDelete